It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:32 pm

Lots of noise, ISO 100 

Post Lots of noise, ISO 100
Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new into the hyper- timelapse world. And I'm working on an nature timelapse project now and an city hyperlapse. I was shooting sunday and yesterday, and al my shots look good, untill I made it into an video.. When I look at them before they are going into Premiere (Just out of the oven, Lightroom) they look good, but after I made them as a timelapse video, there is lots of noise..

My ISO is always at 100, white balance was at sun, and at this shot my shutter speed was at 1/200 sec and my aperture at f / 5,6..

This is the shot before into Premiere :

http://imgur.com/OblrvVf

And when it was made to an timelapse:

http://imgur.com/Rv7ISWP

I hope somebody knows what's the problem is.. This is horrible at the moment, and otherwise my hard work is worth nothing... :(

Greetings,
Stef

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:14 am

Post Re: Lots of noise, ISO 100
Are you sure it's not compression artifacts?

Tim T

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:29 am

I have to agree... have you even tried exporting with different settings?

https://www.facebook.com/onelapse
Check out my videos directly
https://vimeo.com/user10843035

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:04 am

Thanks for your replays, after a day of messing around I did the following thing : I edited my pictures in Lightroom, sended them to LRTimelapse, and they look amazing! When I load them in into Premiere, also Amazing! But, when I render them.. Again, noise...

Not on all the shots, but at most of them..

You can see it here, with the password "cityscape" : https://vimeo.com/88170145
(When the screen is black, it means there need to come shots there, which I still need to make :lol:, also some shots are going to the trashcan)

The Sequence is
dSLR, 23,976 Frames/second / 1920 / 800 (2 35.1)

My render settings are
Format : H.264 - Preset : Custom.
Basic Video Settings : 1.920 / 800. Framerate 23,976. Square Pixels (1.0), NTSC, Profile Main, Level 4.2, render at maximum depth checked.
Bitrate encoding : VBR, 1 pass, Target Bitrate : 32, Maximum Bitrate 40
Advanced Settings : Nothing checked
Use Maximum Render Quality, checked. Use Previews, Checked. Use Frame Blending, Checked.

Is it something in the render settings? Because they look a lot sharper and less noise in Premiere...
Sorry by the way, I'm new in this world haha

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:30 am

Also looks like you've scaled it somewhere along the line as well ?

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:52 pm

How are you getting your images from Lightroom to Premiere? Are you exporting from Lightroom to TIFF or JPEG, then importing as an Image Sequence in Premiere? Or are you exporting as video from Lightroom (using one of the LRTimelapse presets), then importing the video into Premiere?

ps - it's not "noise". What you're seeing is over-compression artifacts.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:23 pm

My images are going from JPG (forgot to shoot in RAW.. Grr), into Lightroom, edit them there, export to LRTimelapse, render them as video from there. Then I go into Premiere, press cmd I for import, select the videos and got them!

The weirdest thing is that my video looks way sharper and less noisy in the viewer from Premiere BEFORE I render it..

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:26 pm

Ouch ! Guilty, that is quite a lot of compression steps you are going through. Personally I would never be using any kind of lossy compression until your final movie for delivery. From what you are describing you have your JPEG which you then put through Lightroom, here you should export as TIFF, you are exporting to LRTimelapse for flicker reasons, again you should be exporting TIFF not JPEG, then bring this TIFF sequence into Premier. Whenever you need to export from a program you should use TIFF or TGA or anything other than lossy formats like JPEG - PNG is something I use quite a lot as it compresses the file down in size but without losing quality. If you have to export to a movie as an interim movie then don't you MP4. You should use Uncompressed for that or if you can afford it buy the Cineform codec.

Another thing that I would suggest for speeding things up is resize down to the final resolution at the start of the process in Lightroom especially if you don't plan to do an "Ken Burns" movement.

Steve R.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:53 am

Let's try out TIFF then! Thanks for the good explanation!
Also put all my cameras on RAW now, let's hope I learn from this fails for in the future! :lol:

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:03 am

Yep, three rounds of lossy compression will do that. You have:

original (lossy) JPEGs rendered to -> (lossier) MP4 video rendered to -> (even lossier) final MP4 video!

Suggest you skip the extra video render step in the middle. Export the final LRT-adjusted photos as full-size TIFF (or at least full-size JPEG). Then import those files as an image sequence directly into Premiere. Only render into lossy MP4 video once, for the final version.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:49 pm