It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:17 am

New to timelapse - built a rig. 

Post New to timelapse - built a rig.
So I have just built a rig for timelapse. I am very new to the whole thing (only using a GoPro before...).

I have been shooting stills pro for events for the last couple of years but I am moving in to some video and timelapse has been a keen interest of mine.

Here is the rig I have juts finished (needs to be adjusted and a few other odds and ends added):

https://vimeo.com/92232764

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:47 am

Post Re: New to timelapse - built a rig.
Nice dolly! How much weight is that on it? Its the first dolly I've seen with two motors. I assume its for realtime video as well as timelapse. How fast can it go the full length of the track? The Arduino MiniPro is a nice controller. We used it in our Dragonframe controller and got about three times the speed of the same circuit with the Uno. It also lets your entire controller be smaller than the Uno. Are you running Dragonframe or your own program on the Mini?

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:00 am

Hey. Thanks :). It is pulling 5kg there (about my 5d mk iii gripped and a decent lens worth I figured). I wrote my own code...uses a potentiometer to choose 10 different durations and a direction. Need to add an optocoupled intervalometer really...
It gives 5100 steps over 1m of track or upto 16x more steps if I place the motors drivers in 16th micro steps.

The motors are sadly not as quick as I would have liked for real time video.

I also am considering placing both steppers on the same side and having 2 tracks as opposed to one for a bit of redundancy but also even more torque.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:40 am

Oh and already considering adding a third motor for a tilt mechanism. Having a look and sketching some ideas for a tilt/pan mechanism so may even have 3axis soon with a 5jg set up.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:51 am

Nice choice using stepper motors for precise, repeatble movement. If you are considering adding focus or zoom motors or using Dragonframe software to keyframe movement of multiple motors, please consider backing this Kickstarter project. We offer focus/zoom motors for timelapse, stop motion and realtime video, and a tiny Dragonframe controller for producing step and direction signals for driving steppers or industrial servos.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... -stopmotio

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:01 am