It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:35 am

First attempt at Lightroom / Aftereffects workflow. 

Post First attempt at Lightroom / Aftereffects workflow.
Greetings!

I've previously done a few basic lapses with Adobe Premiere, just using the transform control to pan/zoom within DSLR frames.

Recently I've captured some nice Northern Lights sequences and have been looking into more advanced processing with AE.

I wanted to share my workflow for this recent time-lapse:

http://www.vimeo.com/96481501

Shot in full manual to expose for full sun, which left me with very dark frames when the sun goes in. In Lightroom I set highlights to -100 and shadows to +100 to try and bring up the shadows and retain detail.

Imported as individual frames in AE, set to dissolve front frame with some overlap to allow me to slow down the footage (via time stretch).

I then applied shadows/highlights (set to auto) and auto levels in AE to increase brightness/contrast in the dark shots without ruining the brighter shots in full sun.

I'm pretty happy with the results but it seems I could get a better result by using the RAW files themselves. I tried importing the raw files but I could only get AE to apply XMP from the first image to the rest of the sequence, which doesn't help with the fluctuating light, as to get the best from the RAW files they would need to be processed individually.

I've heard that LRTimelapse is able to do this but wanted to ask whether there are any other workflow solutions that would help? Am I going to need external programs / plugins to gain more control over RAW in AE?

Any feedback would be great.

mod edit: fixed vimeo link

Wed May 28, 2014 1:46 am

Post Re: First attempt at Lightroom / Aftereffects workflow.
Here's another using a similar workflow. This time I adjusted 'blend with original' in line with the transitions between light and dark.

I'm quite happy with it, but there must be a better way.

http://www.vimeo.com/98482865

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:27 am

keane wrote:
I'm pretty happy with the results but it seems I could get a better result by using the RAW files themselves. I tried importing the raw files but I could only get AE to apply XMP from the first image to the rest of the sequence, which doesn't help with the fluctuating light, as to get the best from the RAW files they would need to be processed individually.

Did you save the metadata to all of your RAW files after editing them in Lightroom?
- select all
- (menu) Metadata -> Save Metadata to Files

If not, then After Effects would have no knowledge of your edits, because they would exist only inside Lightroom's database.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:55 am

i like it

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:41 am