It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:12 am

Tiltshift timelapse question 

Post Tiltshift timelapse question
Hey timescapes,

I'm starting work on a tiltshift project and after some research have a few questions perhaps some more experienced users can answer.

Differing from timelapses I'm used to doing that range from 3 seconds between shots to 30 sec night exposures, successful tiltshift intervals needs to be far shorter in duration between shots to get the desired miniature effect.

For example, Paul Garcia Laita's tiltshift of Girona ( http://vimeo.com/99370876 ) used an a Canon 60d and fast sd card w/intervalometer locked on burst mode. He stated:

"I shot on burst mode continuously, at 5.3 pictures per second which is the maximum my 60D is able, for 2-3minutes depending on the action that was happening. 5.3 is the speed of the burst mode, a little more than 5 pictures per second. I had to lower the quality of the pictures and have a fast sd card for the camera to handle it along 2-3minutes. "

Is there anyway this is possible without shooting JPEG? Canon's website states burst rates and frames per second for various file types. 60d has a fps rate of 5.3 but a burst rate of only 53 for jpeg, and for raw only 16 - meaning that after the initial burst rate the camera would have to pause to record on the memory card. (http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resource ... ates.htmlp)

I'm curious because it seems like even the slightest pause when the camera is writing to the memory card after the burst rate will negatively impact the playback and miniature flow of a tilt-shift in post.

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:18 pm

Post Re: Tiltshift timelapse question
Short answer is there is no way to do this.

You can try shooting video 4K if you need the resolution, otherwise try shooting video...

Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:43 am

Post Re: Tiltshift timelapse question
i have my canon 60d in front of me there are three raw files sizes 18,10,and 4.5 meg the smallest file size is 2592x1728 and 8 jpeg settings obviously it writes the smaller file size faster how much faster i can't say :oops: i am limited by my card, class ten it aint :lol: never really saw the need for speed with timelapse :-) never thought to experiment much in the way of burst mode either basically it's magic lantern and four or five seconds a time for me. not that helps you much

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:30 pm