It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:35 am

One day in my office Timelapse advise 

Post One day in my office Timelapse advise
Hello!

I am new to timelapse and before getting started i thought it would be nice to hear some advise from people who did it before.

So here is what i want to do -
I want to shoot a timelapse video covering a day in my office from morning, when everyone comes to evening when lights go off and everyone goes home.

settings are as follows:

- The room is about 4meters x 18 meters.
- the camera i plan to use is Sony actioncam HDR-AS100V (F2.8 170degree)
- i wnat to cover the day and my video to last about 1-2 minutes... that does not mean i want to shoot everything that happens during the day, just save the most funny part.

My main questions are
- what interval should i use to get smotth nice looking video
- should i add effects, like fake Tilt-shift or fake HDR, if yes, when is the time to do it - during post processing?
- what settings should i use for the camera? Apperture, F, shutter etc.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Will post the result in here.

Thank you

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:14 am

Post Re: One day in my office Timelapse advise
Speeding up human movement this much is going to look choppy no matter how you shoot it. Thats just the reality. Focus, F-stop, depth of field are going to be the same as for any photograph. Just get everyone in focus. You'll probably need a fairly small aperture, so compensate by increasing ISO. Figure that 30 frames will be needed for every second of the final video. Find the total number of frames you need with math. Figure how many minutes are in your workday and divide that by the number of frames needed. this number is the number of minutes between exposures. Some people like to shoot 2, 3 or 4 times as many frames as needed and speed it up in post. Some editing software actually blends frames and makes it look smoother. Run the camera once beforehand to verify it can stay powered on all day. You might need to change batteries halfway through or run the camera on wall outlet power through adapters.

Shooting with small apertures can cause flicker because some irises don't stop down to exactly the same size for each exposure. Use an old manual lens if possible. Old M42 screw mount lenses are awesome for timelapse because their irises stay where you put em. Some Canon cameras can use the lens twist trick. Set the iris to the opening you want to use. Unlock the lens and untwist it just a bit in its mount so the contacts from the camera body to the lens disconnect. You have to go into the menus and turn on "shoot without lens attached" to make it fire the shutter. Be careful not to let the lens fall completely off. Shooting with the aperture working isn't so bad, maybe forget that last bit unless its for distribution.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:37 pm

Post Re: One day in my office Timelapse advise
Thanks so much for your advise, sciencelookers

I will shoot with AC plugged in so batteries should not be a problem. As for the rest, i will follow your advise and let you knw how it goes.

thanks

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:41 pm