It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:24 am

First timelapse - oops moved camera during battery change 

Post First timelapse - oops moved camera during battery change
In the process of my time lapse photos I had to change the battery. The camera moved very slightly.

Post-process, any suggestions as to the easiest way to fix this? My plan was to try to crop the photos in Lightroom on one side of the picture count to match up with the other side - Does that make sense? We are talking about 700 photos total. Only movement noticeable is between two about the halfway point of the picture count.

Thanks
Jess

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:26 am

Post Re: First timelapse - oops moved camera during battery chang
you may not be able to match the files up - you may have move the camera in not only x and y but also z space and that would change the parallax of the view - there is no way to correct this type of oops. my suggestion is reshoot (I've done that a bunch when something goes wrong) and don't touch the camera durning a timelapse.

timt

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:51 pm

It was a very slight horizontal shift - I was thinking of maybe trying to blend it - or a quick fade in/fade out. I know not to move the camera - however the battery was dying. I am shooting the blizzard we are getting here. So far about 24 hours of shots. I would really hate to waste the whole shoot.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:02 pm

rather than trying to match up perfectly you could change the framing so that it looks like an intentional cut - of course not seeing any example it's hard to judge how slight the bump is. if it truly just an X/Y bump then you can use a program like After Effects to align images - I usually put the offending frame over the last good frame and turn on the difference transfer mode - everything that is the same will be black - it helps you line things up.

Tim T

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:13 pm

pixelbot - good advice. I am still shooting the frames. I plan on finishing up this evening. I will post the two shots then so that you can get a better idea of what I am dealing with. A transition that looks intentional would probably be the easiest. Otherwise I have to line up about 118 frames with the other side of the shoot, which will be around 580 frames. I may be overthinking this. Again, please bear with me this is my first attempt at something like this.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:43 pm

To avoid this kind of thing in the future, consider using a battery grip or external battery. There are lots of posts on here about it. This video was featured on Planet 5D recently, it tells all about it. You can get similar "battery dummies" for other cameras. Canon calls their battery dummies couplers.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:14 am

Yes, I know. : ) I ordered one, along with an AC power adapter - both were out for delivery Monday, however because of the impending snowstorm they halted delivery of the mail in the morning - before it made it to my house.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:49 am