It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:43 pm

which camera is best 

Post which camera is best
Hello Everybody,...Virginia Beach,Virginia (USA) I am brand new to Timescapes and I have perhaps one stupid question and one regular question,...I have a Kodak EasyShare Z712 IS ,....and I want to (of course) do some time lapse things, my stupid question is can I use this camera my guess is no from my research?
#2,...I am looking for a nice camera but do not want to get a lot of features I will not need or use,...A good unit that does basically time lapse (star trails) photography ,..what are some suggestions,..Thanks in Advance :?

Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:55 pm

Post Re: which camera is best
that's a can of worms your about to open there ;) i myself like canon gear however i do have 2 nikons so it would seem i have a foot in both camps :o
canon dslr's can have the magic lantern program added to the firmware adding functionality like an inbuilt intervalometer amongst other things. canon point and shoot cameras can get chdk which adds functionality as well . never had a canon point and shoot or the interest to check out chdk so cant really comment about it. i do like magic lantern but that could be just me. no idea what your kodak can do or can't do. google kodak hacks see what turns up for a start. i guess it depends on some extent how proficient you are mechanically and your budget. you could build a frame around your camera have a linear solenoid push down the shutter when told to by an arduino. that's timelapse for you . maybe the kodak has a cable remote if so then an intervalometer on a cable maybe all you need. not sure whats available with pentax or other manufactures it can be a bit of a steep hill your about to climb as well not to deter you but that's just the facts. there's also a thread on this forum using compacts instead of dslr's some people swear by them. i guess we are all trying to climb a hill from different sides in some respects whether it's easier with a canon or nikon or pentax compact im not quite so sure.
google is your friend looks like you got some homework to do. you'll also need something to turn your raw/jpgs into avi's if your on a budget i don't think you cant beat virtual dub it's free.
it would be good if anyone else could chime in with their experiences. might also be nice if we did a poll perhaps on brands used for timelapse perhaps. not that it would sway my opinion but it might be quite interesting if it hasn't already been done.

if you felt the need to have some movement in the scene some people on this site built their own slider or dolly. some people even sell on here. or there's ebay as well

Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:12 am

Post Re: which camera is best
Most important question: what is your budget

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:04 am