It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:11 am

America timelapse idea 

Post America timelapse idea
Hi all,

Okay I will get straight to the point. Me and my partner are going away to America for 5 weeks and I want to make it a memorable trip. Using my raspberry pi with a pi camera, I've successfully created a system that can take pictures at any given interval and am happy with the design.

Most timelapse videos I've come across focus on taking pictures in a stationary position however I am wanting to take pictures as I move around America. Will this idea work and turn out well when I return home and create the timelapse video or will this idea not turn out very well and am I wasting my time?

If you need further information please ask and any information regarding my idea will be really appreciated.

Thu May 21, 2015 10:39 pm

Post Re: America timelapse idea
how long before you go ? you might have time to rig up some sort of motorized dolly out of a skateboard or cart perhaps not all movies need motion however it does add an extra element. i don't know what the resolution of a pi camera is ? you say you can take photos have you made a time lapse then ? if your happy with what you have then you may as well use it. use it as a learning experience it might be awhile before before you get to go back with better equipment.

Sat May 23, 2015 1:31 am

Post Re: America timelapse idea
I don't understand what you mean by taking pictures as you move around America. Do you mean a camera attached to yourself that records your movement through the airport, attached to your car as you drive? There are chest mounts for gopro cameras. Maybe one could hold your pi camera while you walk around. You could try to stabilize the footage in post and hope for the best. There are lots of mounts for attaching cameras to cars. You can set up a tripod in the front passenger seat and belt it down to the seat back if you can't get a good car mount.

For the walking and car shots, you could even shoot regular video and speed it up in post. Trying to film a very long car trip in timelapse can be a mistake. Scenery goes by so fast you can't see much of it. It can be more effective to show several video or mildly timelapsed clips from the same car mounted camera with cross dissolves in between them. This way you can show the most beautiful parts well and leave out the long boring bits. Introduce a new city with the view of its skyline as the road approaches, then some waking around timelapse and some longer timelapse from your room window or somewhere with a view. Then walking around, breakfast, walking to the car, and another sequence of cross dissolves from the car-mount on the way to the next city.

Try to tell a story instead of presenting a series of random clips set to music.

Sat May 23, 2015 6:37 am