It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 7:50 am

Help starting out 

Post Help starting out
Hi all
Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself and ask a question if I may.
My names Ian and I am a very passionate photographer and I LOVE Timelapse though never really delved deep into shooting any until now. My question is how can I learn the ins and outs of this facinating hobby? Obviously I know about the scene but I mean things like what makes a good time lapse?, how long should each scene be?, how do you choose the right music? Just things like that really. I love editing in PS, LR and making little movies in Premier Pro but would love to learn the ins and outs of Timelapse now so was wondering if any of you peeps out there could point me in the right direction :-)
Thanks

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:12 am

Post Re: Help starting out
This is a great place to ask questions once you have some. without an actual question, its hard to help. For starting out, get an interval timer that fits your camera by typing something like timer and the model of your camera into amazon or ebay. Get a tripod too. Start by looking for stuff that happens so slow that its hard to see what is happening. Clouds are easy. Melting ice, food cooking, someone making a drawing or painting, mowing a lawn, stuff like that. Flowers opening is another easy one. Try to guess about how long the event will take and decide how long you want the timelapse to take when shown on screen. This is usually going to be a few seconds per clip. Figure 25 or 30 seconds per frame when the movie is played back. For example, a 3 second clip will be 90 frames. Divide how long the event will take, say an hour and a half of clouds, by the number of frames. This gives you the number to enter into your timer, in this case, 60 frames per hour, or one frame per minute. This will get the clouds moving real fast.

The first guess is usually not ideal. You can try making multiple clips of the same thing to find an interval that is right for that subject. When it is a one-time event where you don't get a second chance, a lot of people shoot more often than necessary and speed the footage up in Premiere until it looks the way they want.

When venturing outside, bring a rolled up trash bag to throw over the camera if it rains.

Avoid bears or alligators depending on location.

The fun part is learning from experience what interval works for different subjects and actually being able to see events which were too slow to see before.

And ask a question here when you have one.

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:48 am

Post Re: Help starting out
There are no rules :)

Now there are tons and tons of tutorials everywhere too :)

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:17 pm