It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 1:54 am

Cheapest effective setup for newbie who just wants to learn? 

Post Cheapest effective setup for newbie who just wants to learn?
Hello all,

I'm a complete newbie to timelapse. I've spent a few hours going through timelapse "FAQ"-type articles and tutorials and think I know enough at least to start learning by doing.

For my first project I've chosen some indoor flowers which are ready to bloom. I set up a backdrop and steady lighting, worked out the interval based on frame rate, filming duration and final video length, composed the shot, and then tried several timelapse apps on my Android tablet.

I'll spare you the gory details by summarising that the 5 apps that I tried all glitched somehow, and after after a fair bit of time wasted seeking help from the app developers, trying workarounds etc, I have firmly decided that enough is enough, Android is **not** the way I want to go.

(To be honest the majority of Android apps of various kinds I've tried have not been ready for prime-time, but I digress.)

So I would like to buy a camera which is proven to take time lapses reliably.

But as I am on a tight budget, and am just starting out (trying to learn technique, rather than seeking **ULTIMATE QUALITY** from **UTIMATE GEAR**) I really would like an inexpensive solution.

To be honest my 3-year old Lumix point and shoot is plenty good for my normal photography needs (too bad it doesn't handle timelapse), to give you an idea how how "un-aficianado" I am.

Therefore I do not want to spend big bucks on some fancy DLSR, as the only thing I'd use it for would be to learn timelapse techniques. Only if I decide it's the hobby for me will I consider shelling out for expensive gear.

So, can anyone recommend some less expensive, reliable (for time-lapse) setup -- say a digital point and shoot -- which might fit the bill? Or if extra gear like an intervalometer is needed, then such an inexpensive camera which accepts an inexpensive inervalometer?

I'm in the UK if that matters.

Very grateful for any advice!

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:34 am

Post Re: Cheapest effective setup for newbie who just wants to le
Well, the silence here prompted me to research further, and I now I can answer my own question. In case anyone else wants to know, an inexpensive Canon point and shoot which can be used by the free "CHDK" utility will do the trick.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:36 pm

Post Re: Cheapest effective setup for newbie who just wants to le
no experience with the lumix. if your camera has an optional wired remote then you would be able to get an
a cheap wired intervalometer to fit im sure. another way to do it is with an arduino board some wires and a solenoid to trigger the shutter but you looking at making some sort of mount to position the solenoid over the shutterand and a whole lot of diy . my nikon v1 has inbuilt intervelometer on the other hand my canon eos doesn't. intervalometer functions can be added to the eos via installing magic lantern onto it. some canon point and shoots and other brands can have chdk installed which adds timelapse and bunch of other stuff. not sure if your camera is supported
hope that helps

Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:36 pm