It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:48 am

Introducing myself (noobie) 

Post Introducing myself (noobie)
Hello all!

My name is Jimmy and I'm fairly new to making TL videos. Let's see where to start. I got my first DSLR camera when I was stationed in Korea a few years back. It is a 5Dmk2. I've been on and off on pursuing this hobby of TL due to work, school and life. My intentions so far are to learn this for the sheer joy of it and not for any monetary means or recognition. I recently ordered a RamperPro to my arsenal last summer and finally got it up running (talk about procrastination!). So far, I have done two TL in my front yard with it. The 1st one was a failure and did not adapt to the light. My second one was somewhat successful while using the RamperPro but I still have a lot to improve on. Mind you-- this is nothing spectacular. I'm in the "crawl" stage so to speak. The link is here and any feedback or thoughts are welcome:

https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos

My first upload for TL!

Method:

5kmkII
Aperture (5.6) (I just read somewhere recently online that using 8 or higher is better. Thoughts anyone?)
USED APP: LUNA Solaria for sunset/civil/astro times
Manfrotto tripod consumer level
Lexar 128GB 1066x
RamperPro version 1
14mm Rokinon on manual
10 sec exposures (probably way too much; should of done 3-5 secs)

Post Processing:

Lightroom
- cropped vid to 1080p/SYNCed w/all
- used lens correction
- adjusted some of the colors except exposure (XMP files has all data for fluctuating exposures)
After Effects for exporting video.

I'm still trying to hone this craft of photography, city-scape, nature and astro photography; and learning about my camera. This winter, I plan on visiting Washington in hopes to get some city-scape TL/shots in different parts of Seattle. I think I have a good grasp on how ISO/Shutter/Apertures work.

I really hope to extend myself outwards to this forum (hopefully not too late), bounce ideas and learn from others to better my skill in making the perfect TL. I don't know everything so I'm emptying my cup.

Before I close out I do have a few questions to start things off regarding some of the settings on the 5dmkII. On the function settings in menu for C.FN I/II/III/IV, can someone please enlighten me on what is the best or recommended settings in these areas? Is there a certain "template"/"guide" on this? Also, explain the why if possible? For example, on my second attempt in my front yard I had mirror lock up enabled and my camera would not start the TL. After fiddling around and disabling it, my camera was able to shoot!

Thank you if you got this far! I hope to interact and exchange with other fellow TL lovers such as myself.

Sincerely

Jimmy

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:03 am

Post Re: Introducing myself (noobie)
Hi Jimmy,

Unfortunately you've just linked to your own video 'dashboard' on Vimeo, so it will take people to their own dashboards and not your profile.

Would you mind reposting with your actual profile? When you're on Vimeo, click your profile picture on the top right (or let the menu drop down and select the top option - your username with "View profile" underneath) and copy & paste the URL from the page that loads.

Thanks very much.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:19 am