It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 1:45 am

timelapse 60D at night 

Post timelapse 60D at night
I shot with a 60D timelapse but the shots was grainy I needed to put the ISO on 2000 and up because it was night.
so what are the best performance for time lapse on the 60D?
and what can you do at night if it is very dark?

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:45 am

Post Re: timelapse 60D at night
I presume you are talking about filming stars ? You really need to have a full frame camera for that sort of shooting but you can certainly shoot night time city lights etc with a 60D.

Steve

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:54 pm

Post Re: timelapse 60D at night
I second that but with one caveat. Depending of your focal length, you can increase the exposure time to lighten the image. This reduces the grainy look of night shots dramatically. Unfortunately at some point stars will start to become streaks because the earth moves. Mounting the camera on a motor driven telescope mount would allow the longer exposures if stars are what you are after.

Also wider aperture fixed focal length lenses gather more light than the zoom lenses that come with most cameras. Switching from the kit lens to a cheap used lens from a 35mm film slr camera and an adapter to fit your dslr body will give a stunning increase in light gathering ability. This lets you expose for a brighter image which will have a lot less graininess. Check out pentax takumar 50mm f1.4 lenses or if looking for a longer focal length, look for used 135,, f1.8 or 300mm f2.8. In most cases, you can get a cheap adapter on ebay to connect the lens to your camera. I like pentax screw mount lenses. This simple mount used to be the standard lens mount called M42, Russian Zenit cameras and many western cameras had this mount before cameras with bayonet mounts became popular in the late 60's

Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:33 pm