It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 7:28 am

One month timelapse 

Post One month timelapse
Hi All, I am new to this forum. Got a handle on timelapse but have a question about an extended TL shoot. I have been asked to do a video combined with a TL of a sculptor creating a piece from start to finish. The project is about 4 weeks long and I was wondering if I could get some advice on how many shots, at what intervals and how many shots per session would create the perception of the work coming to life. The video I can handle its the latter I need some advice on.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:42 am

Post Re: One month timelapse
Do you have any motion control?

It all depends on what you want to show... how much time you have to process etc.

Are you covering this every day?

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:54 pm

Shoot a lot. Consider making the interval shorter than you think it should be because you can speed it up in post.

Your finished timelapse will play at 30 frames per second if shown on a television. So you need to shoot 30 pictures for every second your movie is on screen.

Say you want an eight hour shift to play in five seconds. Then you need 5x30 pictures which is 150. (five seconds of video times 30 frames per second for TV) The eight hour shift is 8x60 minutes long, or 480 minutes. To find the number of minutes between each picture, divide 480 by 150 and you get 3.2, or three minutes and twelve seconds. (the 12 seconds is the 0.2 minute times 60 seconds per minute) So you set your interval timer to three minutes and twelve seconds per frame to get a five second timelapse of the eight hour shift.

You can decide how long each clip is to be seen on screen, then plug your own numbers into the formula. And then shoot more often than the result if you want to speed it up when editing. You can always dump every other frame, you can't add frames you never shot.

If possible shoot with multiple cameras. Use one to get closeups of various tasks being performed. Shoot with a much shorter interval for these. Try to anticipate how long each task will take and apply the formula. When editing, intersperse the closeups with the faster wide angle clips. Use all other cameras for capturing different wide views of the entire site.

If possible keep no one clip onscreen for more than three seconds when you edit unless there is some hugely compelling reason to let it run on longer. Be aware, everyone's first timelapses are amazing to them and the most common mistake is to have one shot that runs on and on and on. You will be proud of each second, but don't be that guy. Remember you can speed up a long clip in the editor so you see the entire clip in less time so you don't need to chop out content to meet the three second rule.

Yes, the five second example exceeds the three second rule. Have the editor play it at 200 percent speed so its 2.5 seconds on screen. If you pick a whole number change in speed like 200 percent or 300 percent, the computer won't have to generate images of what it thinks things looked like between frames. In some editors, you get a cleaner result because the editor just keeps every second or third frame.

Some of the closeup tasks can be shot on regular video and then sped up a lot in the editor. 1,000 percent is ten times speed, 10,000 percent is 100 times speed or six seconds for a ten minute video clip. (10 min divided by 100 times speed = 0.1 minute or six seconds) Going to 20,000 times speed would show the 10 minute video in three seconds. You need a tripod for the video camera because you will be speeding it up so much that ordinary hand tremor will become excessive vibration on screen.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:20 pm

I have motion control 3 axis - please allow me some time to digest the info, i will then revert.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:48 am