It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:56 am

Road trip time lapse 

Post Road trip time lapse
Greetings all! I'm a newbie, not only to this forum, but to photography in general. A friend and I are taking a coast to coast road trip in July and are hoping to time lapse the entire trip, similar to this:

The camera we are using is a Ricoh R10. It has a built in interval meter. Some of the road blocks we are running into is that the minimum interval the camera does is 5 seconds. Also, the camera doesn't have an AC adapter port, so we are researching adapters.

Also, we are trying to figure out what settings to use for this. Our plan is to keep the camera running 24 hours a day.

Any help is gratefully appreciated. We aren't planning on making anything professional, just something fun we can share on youtube, facebook and with family and friends.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:59 am

Post Re: Road trip time lapse
Do you care anything about the impression you leave on your audience or are you must documenting the trip?
People won't sit through an endless rush of images unless they are forced or unless you have a story to tell. There is a difference between filmmaking and, umm, something similar to abuse.

If you do not have the time to learn neither the craft of photography nor the art of filmmaking, just hang a cheap point and shoot camera from the roof that will support intervalometer shooting, set it to auto, and forget about it. However, you should practice on a few long drives to see if you can handle the technical parts of operating the camera (setting the intervalometer and changing batteries and swapping cards without disturbing the shot) and then decide if there's a reason you really want to do this.

bogiesan

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:34 am

Well we wanted a video of the entire trip that people would be able to see in a few minutes. I hardly understand how this would be painful to watch, but i'll take your word for it. I guess this is the wrong forum for a newbie wanting to learn.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:31 pm

hello there this is the place to learn... all of us are on some part of a learning curve ... somewhere... so stick around... and you can learn here... time lapse may not be all of the story... but it can lend to a story... and hey play with it. i think your 4 min piece is interesting.
73'
kd7

Collins

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Greetings RedOgre11,

I'd like to say "don't let that first response discourage you", but I'm afraid it isn't really possible to do what you're looking to here and get "satisfactory" results. Problem is, to produce fairly smooth looking "drivelapse" footage you have to take a photo every couple of seconds or faster which is what was done in your example video (along with using long exposure time to create motion blur, smoothening things out even more). With 5 seconds between shots the footage becomes quite choppy because the scene changes too much from frame to frame - unless you drive really slow. So as far as your Ricoh R10 goes, the 5 second minimum interval is somewhat limiting in terms of the subjects you can capture and get good results. Clouds etc. is ok (mostly), but for faster paced subjects you really want to go lower, and unfortunately for you drivelapse is on the very fast end of the scale.

If you were to get a hold of a camera that can do shorter intervals (CHDK-compatible Canons or better, DSLRs) you'd run into another problem: Using, say, 2 second intervals each hour of driving will give you 2 minutes of timelapse video (if compiled at 30 frames/sec). Multiply that by the number of hours you expect to be driving and you end up with a veery long video, longer than most people will want to sit through. So in that case I'd advise you to only have the camera running during certain parts of the trip, put some of those clips together, perhaps mix with some good still photos, add some music and captions and it will make a presentable short summary. Not exactly what you were envisioning, but probably the best you can practically do.

As for generally learning about timelapse you are certainly in the right place. Take a look at the FAQ thread and browse around. You'll find that it's a pretty friendly crowd here.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks flyvholm and kilodelta. Much appreciated :)

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:03 am

"Behind" by Michel & Olivier Gondry: A drive from LA to NYC in 3 minutes

"The video consists of digitally fast forwarded time lapse 16mm photography shot from a rig set up in the back seat. The entire seven-day journey, shot at one frame per second of driving (one frame per 10 seconds at night) is compressed into less than four minutes."

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:55 am

Michel & Olivier Gondry wrote:
The entire seven-day journey, shot at one frame per second of driving (one frame per 10 seconds at night) is compressed into less than four minutes.

Something doesn't compute there - 1 sec interval gives 2 min of footage per hour of driving using 30fps. I assume the video just showed short segments of the drive put together, but couldn't find a working link to the video to tell what is actually going on...

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:32 am

flyvholm wrote:
Michel & Olivier Gondry wrote:
The entire seven-day journey, shot at one frame per second of driving (one frame per 10 seconds at night) is compressed into less than four minutes.

Something doesn't compute there - 1 sec interval gives 2 min of footage per hour of driving using 30fps. I assume the video just showed short segments of the drive put together, but couldn't find a working link to the video to tell what is actually going on...

Found it! Here we go. :)

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:31 pm