It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:29 pm

URGENT - your help needed for TIMELAPSE of 17,000km Roadtrip 

Post URGENT - your help needed for TIMELAPSE of 17,000km Roadtrip
Dear Timescape users,
I am 140 hours away from landing in Boston and embarking on a 17,000km journey around the US - visiting around 24 States.

Is there any equipment that is below 300$ that will allow me to get a dashcam view of my journey? I do have a laptop with a removable HDD so I can store up to 300gb.
Ideally I was looking for a picture every 5 min or so - after all, 17,000km is a lot to drive!
If possible, could you suggest some places where I can get said equipment?
The quality doesnt need to be good, it is just being able to show my roadtrip sped up in 15min w/o having to resort to holding a camera while driving.
Thank you in advance,
RM87

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 am
Post Re: URGENT - your help needed for TIMELAPSE of 17,000km Roadtrip
gopro camera

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:48 am

Maybe GoPro HD cam? Original battery lasts about 3 and half hour in time lapse mode, but you can use your laptop or 12V USB-charger to constant charghing. If you want to use original waterproof case, you need to drill a hole in it to use mini-USB cable to charge. Only that the max interval is 60 secons, but VirtualDub do the job later...
Its very memory card sensitive equipment, you should read this topic. I hope coming firmware fix these problems!

This is my first time lapse made for GoPro HD. True image quality is better than this video!

I'm slow... ;)

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:03 am

One picture every 5 minutes seems a bit slow for a drive lapse. The scenery will have completely changed in those 5 minutes I think, so it wont seem like 'smooth' motion when you play it back. I'd suggest a larger HD to take some more pictures... imho..

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:07 am

I will second the GoPro recommendation. I just got it for surfing and it has turned out to be a great little time lapse camera with built in timer.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:35 am

My friend and I are doing the same thing. Our plan is to use a Ricoh R10 camera, with the dc adapter and take a picture every 5 seconds. The built in interval timer will continue until the card is full. We hope to use an eye fi sd card ad-hoc to dump photos onto a laptop periodically so we dont have to worry about taking the card out from the camera. Keeping our fingers crossed it all works!

Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:52 pm

153957 wrote:
One picture every 5 minutes seems a bit slow for a drive lapse. The scenery will have completely changed in those 5 minutes I think, so it wont seem like 'smooth' motion when you play it back. I'd suggest a larger HD to take some more pictures... imho..

I strongly agree, 1fps or below for short exposure highway/city drive lapse. Longer intervals can work when you are shooting long exposures or driving really really slow. I would also suggest not time-lapsing the entire trip but only recording TL clips when you encounter interesting scenery throughout your trip: much like the way this video was shot:

If the cinematographer had simply set an interval to make the entire trip from LA to NY 4 min in length, the video would be extremely choppy. If you had enough HD space I would just record the entire trip at the shortest possible interval and then cut out the parts you don't want.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:38 am

JuhaL wrote:
This is my first time lapse made for GoPro HD. True image quality is better than this video!

Quite cool! What was your interval and playback framerate for that?

Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:28 pm

Ariel wrote:
Quite cool! What was your interval and playback framerate for that?

Thanks!

Interwal was 2 seconds and playback seems to be 20fps.
This is another one with bike (2 sec/25fps). Image quality is crap because of one extra compression (first Virtualdub, then Vegas)...

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:47 am