It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:28 pm

JPG Sequence with Sony Vegas 

Post JPG Sequence with Sony Vegas
Does anyone use Sony Vegas to create time lapse videos?

I shot my first time lapse video yesterday with my 7d, but don't know how to import the jpgs to the timeline so that each appears as on frame. I searched the FAQs but didn't find anything. Or does this just not work with Vegas?

Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:53 am

Post Re: JPG Sequence with Sony Vegas
I also use Vegas but the Studio Platinum edtion plus I have a 7D. In the Explorer window you can find the folder with your files in. The window next to it will show all the files. Select all and drag to the timeline. If there are a lot of files they can take a time to appear at the timeline. Patience or a faster machine! They will drop into place and then you can edit fx, render etc.

Don't forget to set the still image length to your frame rate. Options>Preferences>Editing>New Still Image Length. e.g. 0.04 = 25fps. Also got at by right clicking on the Project Video Properties icon in the preview panel.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:10 am

I used a trial version of vegas a couple of years ago, and I seem to recall there was a check box option similar to premier to import all the photos as a video sequence rather than individual photos, so they become the same as a video clip.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:08 am

Hi, I use Vegas Pro, to import my jpegs I use the following sequence:
File .... Import .... Media ...
Choose folder location from the pop-up
1) Click on first image to highlight, check (click) the "Open still image sequence" box (bottom left) and click open (bottom right).

2) Select all images or images required, check (click) the "Open still image sequence" box and click open.

1) Works for sequential images eg. _MG200 to _MG1000

2) Works for a sequence with missing image(s) eg. _200 to _MG800 + _MG802 to _MG1000

The images then appear in the Media box as one single file containg all your images that can then be dragged to the Time-line.

Hope that is clear and helps you.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:37 am

MikeA wrote:
Hi, I use Vegas Pro, to import my jpegs I use the following sequence...
Wow, thanks for the tip, Mike! 8-)
That makes one video event, so you can use Event pan/crop-option also. I think that is impossible if using squeezzboxx's method! And this is quite fast too!
Mikes method works fine also in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.

I used to make uncompressed avi-files with Virtualdud before editing in Vegas, but no need to do that anymore!

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:45 am

Hi JuhaL,
Glad to hear it works ok for both versions of Vegas and that you were able to follow my "instructions" ;)

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:46 am

Mmm, think I might be trying Mike's method too very soon! I'm still learning this new game as mostly a still's photographer. Thanks Mike and Juha for the heads up.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:40 am
The other important part about opening image sequences, is that you can map them to 1 frame exactly, whereas trying to import a single image at a time can be a very frustrating attempt, as the "seconds for display" cannot always be cleanly mapped to a single frame... Trust me, it sucks =)

!c

Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi Gents,

I've had Sony Vegas now for 3 months, and have not yet been able to use it. I have contacted the 'Non - Existent Sony Service Department' but can't seem to get a reply.

I'm simply trying to put together a slideshow using my (sequentially numbered) photo's (.jpg) as indeed it appears most of you do also.

My problem is that Vegas appears not to recognise the format of my photo's. Or at least thats what it is saying to me. I've followed the directions from Sony, tutorials on youtube and some forums, yet still cannot import photo's (of any format) to the timeline.

Does anyone have any clues?

P.S. I'm running XP Pro with 3 gb RAM

Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:33 pm

My sequence is File > Import > Media.
1) Navigate to file where image(s) is/are stored.
2) Highlight image(s)
3) Click Open to import images to Project Media Area.
4) Highlight images then Drag or click images to place on the Time-line.

or

1) Navigate to images using Explorer Tab (if not showing go to View menu and "tick" Explorer).
2) Highlight image(s)
3) Drag image(s) to the Project Media area. Needs a bit of practice. Hover cursor over Project Media tab until it opens
the Project Media container and drop images to the area.
4) Highlight images then Drag or click images to place on the Time-line.

If above does not work I would suggest that old Chestnut, "remove and re-install software".

The beauty of Vegas is the shear number of differing formats you can add / mix on the time-line so unless you are unlucky
and have many corrupt image files any of the above should work ok.

Good luck MikeA.

Edit: I use Vegas Pro but above should work for any version.

** Do you have "adequate" permissions set to use image, I just did a quick test on an image where I set permissions to "Deny all" and could not load image
to Vegas.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:50 am

Cheers MikeA, really appreciate the help mate.

Sadly though I had no luck. But if you don't mind, I'll provide a little more information.

Firstly, following example 2 you provided, I cannot even see the jpg files unless I go to the VIEW button in the Explorer Window, and select 'All Files'. Then once the file (permissions all set to ALLOW) is highlighted or grabbed, the curser will change to the blackcircle with a diagonal line through it once the file is removed from the Explorer Window. So hovering over the Project Media tab fails to open it.

Just as an FYI, I have removed Vegas and reinstalled, then went to the Sony website to download the latest version Platinum 9.0b (build 92), but still nothing.

Any ideas mate?

Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:12 am

Simon P wrote:

Sadly though I had no luck. But if you don't mind, I'll provide a little more information.

Firstly, following example 2 you provided, I cannot even see the jpg files unless I go to the VIEW button in the Explorer Window, and select 'All Files'. Then once the file (permissions all set to ALLOW) is highlighted or grabbed, the curser will change to the blackcircle with a diagonal line through it once the file is removed from the Explorer Window. So hovering over the Project Media tab fails to open it.

Just as an FYI, I have removed Vegas and reinstalled, then went to the Sony website to download the latest version Platinum 9.0b (build 92), but still nothing.

Any ideas mate?

If option 1) did not work then 2) probably will not either.

Just to clarify "Explorer" is Vegas Explorer not Windows Explorer.

Attached is a file that may help showing the changes that happen on my machine when using option 2)

Other than that a good site that may be able to help out is here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/

Attachments:
VegasFiles.jpg [94.96 KiB]
Downloaded 1509 times

Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:25 am

Simon P wrote:

Any ideas mate?

Hi, Again, you might try Right Click on a .jpg image and "Open with" Vegas software and see if that imports the image. Good luck.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:02 am

Hi MikeA,

Again mate, I get the Error message telling me the format is not supported - this is the same message no matter what process I follow.

Attachments:
Screenshot.gif [59.06 KiB]
Downloaded 1495 times
Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:05 pm

G'day Mike and other interested parties.

Well after may attempts to rectify this problem, I finally have a solution. For some reason, clean uninstall and reinstall using my discs failed to rectify the problem. But, when installing directly from the Sony Website, the problem has been resolved.

I suspect that the package I purchased has a version of the software that has a glitch (to put it nicely) that has been resolved in future versions.

So, there ya go, I'm off and running with Sony Vegas ...... or at least taking 'baby steps' while I learn more ;o)

Cheers from Sunny Australia

Simon P

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:15 pm