It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:10 am

Old Canon 300D - doesn't want to store pics @ 2sec intervals 

Post Old Canon 300D - doesn't want to store pics @ 2sec intervals
Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forum and timelapse.

I've got an old Canon 300D and I've just bought an Intervalometer. So far I've made these two 'lapses...

I've made another one but its not worth speaking of ha!

Basically, I've had to take off all picture profile settings from the camera in order to get it to consistently save photos @ 3 second intervals. If I set the Intervalometer to 2 second intervals, the camera will take and save photos for about 20 photos, then it goes mental and will only take a photo every 4 seconds with the CF card light flashing when the Intervalometer triggers the camera to take a photo.

Do you think there is a buffer problem or something else?

Any help would be much appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

Jonny.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Post Re: Old Canon 300D - doesn't want to store pics @ 2sec intervals
Welcome to the forum Jonny :-)

Its either a buffer issue, or CF card speed issue. What speed cards are you using?

I have the 400D, and with my 400x card I can shoot no probs at 1 frame every second on RAW. But if I try and go quicker, say to the full 3 fps than my camera can take I have problems on full quality. It is okay on medium quality, or if I have an exposure time of 0.25 or longer.

Try and do some tests. Take 15 or 20 photos, and stop it just before you think you;re going to have problems. IF the CF card light stays on for a while after you have stopped shooting, you have gone past your cameras abilities and it's now trying to save the buffer to your card.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Ma2T wrote:
Welcome to the forum Jonny :-)

Its either a buffer issue, or CF card speed issue. What speed cards are you using?

I have the 400D, and with my 400x card I can shoot no probs at 1 frame every second on RAW. But if I try and go quicker, say to the full 3 fps than my camera can take I have problems on full quality. It is okay on medium quality, or if I have an exposure time of 0.25 or longer.

Try and do some tests. Take 15 or 20 photos, and stop it just before you think you;re going to have problems. IF the CF card light stays on for a while after you have stopped shooting, you have gone past your cameras abilities and it's now trying to save the buffer to your card.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply!

I'm currently using a Sandisk 4GB Extreme 3 (30mb/sec) - in my eyes its a decent card but I could be wrong!?

I'll have to do further tests like you say and see what happens!

Thanks, Jonny.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:14 pm

I've used 300Ds - really quite a slow camera and I think image processing is your bottleneck, not your card's write speed. The 300D has a tiny buffer, and it seems to fill it suddenly and inexplicably. It uses the original DIGIC processor. I've not tested its speed capabilities rigorously, but I've found it unreliable shooting less than 4sec intervals w/ largish images.

The 350D is a significantly better camera - I've bought several for ~$200 each on ebay. Unlike the 300D it allows RAW+JPEG shooting. Much nicer shutter/mirror mechanism. Uses the DIGIC II processor which apparently 'can write to memory card at speeds up to 5.8 MB/sec.[2]' Canon say that's several times faster than DIGIC I - it's all a bit secretive. Still, that's not especially fast, and gives you an idea of what your fastest shooting rates will be - and it doesn't explain how Ma2T gets 1fps ...

I can get over 1fps out of a 40D (DIGIC III) with a fast card.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:30 am

astronomerroyal wrote:
I've used 300Ds - really quite a slow camera and I think image processing is your bottleneck, not your card's write speed. The 300D has a tiny buffer, and it seems to fill it suddenly and inexplicably. It uses the original DIGIC processor. I've not tested its speed capabilities rigorously, but I've found it unreliable shooting less than 4sec intervals w/ largish images.

The 350D is a significantly better camera - I've bought several for ~$200 each on ebay. Unlike the 300D it allows RAW+JPEG shooting. Much nicer shutter/mirror mechanism. Uses the DIGIC II processor which apparently 'can write to memory card at speeds up to 5.8 MB/sec.[2]' Canon say that's several times faster than DIGIC I - it's all a bit secretive. Still, that's not especially fast, and gives you an idea of what your fastest shooting rates will be - and it doesn't explain how Ma2T gets 1fps ...

I can get over 1fps out of a 40D (DIGIC III) with a fast card.

Wow, what a reply! So basically my camera is crap haha! I'll definitely have a look on eBay for a 350D and see if I can get anything. Long term wise I want to get a Canon 7D but only when funds allow!

Thanks again, very helpful!

Jonny.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:07 am

Jonny Jones wrote:
Wow, what a reply! So basically my camera is crap haha! I'll definitely have a look on eBay for a 350D and see if I can get anything. Long term wise I want to get a Canon 7D but only when funds allow!

Thanks again, very helpful!

Jonny.

I have a 300D in the woods right now. It has over 100,000 shots on it since I've owned it. I've also used them for plant time-lapses. Wonderful little bastards when used within their limitations (and economical <$100) - unfortunately you've tapped into one of its weaknesses. I think it (and 350) also have an issue recognizing CF cards over 4GB - not 100% sure.

Shooting speed is a somewhat mysterious issue. My lowly 40D outshoots my 5DII. Canon don't provide enough info to make objective decisions... one can only speculate.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:47 am

astronomerroyal wrote:
I think it (and 350) also have an issue recognizing CF cards over 4GB - not 100% sure.

Hmm, can't remember about the 300D, not sure if I ever used high capacity cards in that and now it's retired (blew two shutters on it, if they held 50K not much more than that). But I do use 32GB cards in my 350D, works fine. IIRC it will not recognize the full size of high capacity cards if you try to format them in-camera, so do that in a card reader if needed. 350D sure is a heck of a lot faster overall than the 300D. I've had better luck with the shutter in that one too, may be upwards of 200K and still going.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:22 pm

Thanks for the further replies, very interesting! Hopefully I'll get my hands on a 350D! In the meantime, I shot this today...

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:38 pm