It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:47 am

Sailboats 

Post Sailboats
I have an idea for a time lapse video that might be fun. I'd like to capture sequential images of sailboats moving across the water. Anyone have recommendations for interval times? The boats will be moving, on average, about 10 mph.

I'm also unclear on shutter speeds. I've read that shutter speed should be ~1/2 the interval - up to a point. But the point is not specified. At what speed should I set the shutter to enhance the flow of movement,without causing too much blur - given a speed of 10 mph.

Thanks.

--P

Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:15 pm
Post Re: Sailboats
It's not quite that precise of a science... Especially when you factor in your lens length + distance from subject! With a wide lens for example objects further away will not blur as much as an object closer. The same is true with longer lenses but in general a longer lens will cause more blur because you're getting 'closer' to the subject.

When in doubt on a 'fast moving subject' (yes 10mph is quite fast on the timelapse scale) shoot 1/2" exposures @ 1 sec intervals and speed up in post as needed. ;)

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:50 am

Post Re: Sailboats
I agree with the 1sec interval times. Adjust your exposures to the conditions, no one can really be sure what exposure you should be using. Don't go too long though or the subject will become too blurred, but this could work to an advantage. You may need to play with ISO levels too. Set your aperture though so the subject is in focus. If you have foreground objects or back ground objects, keep in mind if you want them in focus or not. Sometimes a play with DOF is needed to get something your happy with. Maybe experiment with a few locations first before the main shoot and record the settings. If you get a chance to do it over a few days you could try different ways of doing the lapse, maybe doing it over a period of days will give you more footage to add them together for a nice feature.

Good luck with it all, I'll look forward to what you come up with.

BTW I am by no means an expert, this is usually what I do when looking for spots to shoot from.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:28 pm