It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:39 am

touching the cam 

Post touching the cam
I'm new to TL. I'm shooting on a 30D. I'm wondering if there is anything you can generally "get away with" when it comes to touching the camera during the shoot. I.E. changing a battery on my grip or changing a CF card. Would having a great tripod make a difference in what I can get away with? Or is it HANDSOFF! ? thanks.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:31 pm

Post Re: touching the cam
Generally speaking, hands off.
Avoid all temptation to touch or move or re-frame the shot once it is going.
Walk away and leave it until time is up... and then leave it some more.

Having said that, a really solid tripod helps if you REALLY have to.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:15 pm

jawsborne wrote:
I'm new to TL. I'm shooting on a 30D. I'm wondering if there is anything you can generally "get away with" when it comes to touching the camera during the shoot. I.E. changing a battery on my grip or changing a CF card. Would having a great tripod make a difference in what I can get away with? Or is it HANDSOFF! ? thanks.

I don't think there is anything that you can 'generally get away with' because it will always depend on several factors. Such as;

1/ rigidity of your tripod
2/ the tripod head, there are many different kinds, some better, some worse
3/ how the camera attaches to the tripod head, some cameras have flimsy tripod sockets in plastic camera bodies, not very confidence inspiring...
4/ how wide the lens is on the camera (tele lenses shake in the breeze much less when the camera is touched whilst wide angle lenses are very forgiving)
5/ your own personal standards and what you are willing to accept or fix in post

The most I would normally be willing to do is alter the shutter speed using the dial on the camera. Anything more than that and you start to risk moving the camera but again, it depends many factors.

JJ

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:20 pm

I often change the ISO by hand (while bramping) and beforehand try to spend time ensuring my setup is rigid (as per John's comments). Sometimes I also remove an ND filter, but this always seems to induce a small movement that I have to fix in post (not sure why yet...maybe the optical path changes, or the camera re-balances?).

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm in the "no-touchy" camp, in fact I remove the camera strap so that the wind doesn't move the camera.

timt

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:06 pm

thanks for the info guys, gives me a better idea. first on my list is a better quality tripod.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:50 pm

jawsborne wrote:
thanks for the info guys, gives me a better idea. first on my list is a better quality tripod.

You should pay as much attention to the tripod head as the tripod itself. The Manfrotto 3D Junior Head is quite cheap but a very good place to start. I often use the same head on some of my car rigs where everything gets bounced around quite a bit. The rig below, stuck to the windscreen of a car, is fitted with the Manfrotto 3d Junior Head.

There are heaps of decent tripods and heads but don't skimp on quality as you will only end up paying for it later.

JJ

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:37 am

As suggested it is best not to touch the camera, but ... instead of using standard tripods, i used this rig on a longterm timelapse shoot for a TVC last year.
I had eight of these fabricated and I could swap CF cards and lenses, and still maintain perfect alignment. (even on the odd occasion when I bumped it :oops: )

Attachments:
Deep TL rig CU.jpg
Deep TL rig CU.jpg [ 23.27 KiB | Viewed 3838 times ]
Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:45 pm