It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:26 am

Dance Recital 

Post Dance Recital
Hi,

This will be my first attempt at timelapse, and after reading several posts and FAQ, I'd like to get some advice/input regarding shooting dance recital timelapse. Here are my equipments:

5DII
ef 35mm f/1.4
Canon TC80N3

The dancing style has a lot of intricate hand and feet movement. I intend on shooting manual exposure and manual focus (unless it's better to shoot differently?. Here are some questions I have:

what aperture?
shutter?
time interval on TC80N3 (bare in mind I've never used this remote before)

Also, I don't have quicktime pro (but can get a hold of a copy), is it possible to put the entire timelapse together using Adobe Lightroom (I think no, but thought I'd ask anyway).

Again, this is my very first attempt at timelapse, so please excuse the elementary questions. Any suggestion and input will be welcomed.

Thanks

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:26 am

Post Re: Dance Recital
Yes shoot manual everything, raw if you have the room. Set wb manually( not too important if raw). You'd want to keep the interval as short as possible for this much movement (1sec), keep shutter 1/100th or slower ( i use 1/30th a lot), use nd filters if need be. Set timer to 00 for unlimited shots. Disengage the lense while pressing the dof preview button and turn 6mm to prevent aperture flicker. Cover the eye piece to stop stray light coming through.
Use lightroom to adjust colour ect then export out into program such as quicktime pro or after effects. I'm quite new to this myself and never shot dancing so don't hold me to anything hey.

Goodluck

Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:20 pm

thank you!

is there a ballpark aperture? I was planning on shooting at f/8, but is that too wide? or should I go wider?

also, I would like to add some music to the final timelapse. Can quicktime pro do that?

thanks!

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:50 pm

I don't believe Quicktime can add music. Check out something like Adobe After Effects or maybe even Windows Movie Maker if you can't get a hold of the software.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:01 pm

Saphuso,

Do you have any examples (i.e. videos from YT or Vimeo) of what you want to achieve?

My girlfriend's a choreographer, so I've done a number of stills shoots for her - but not time-lapses. For stills you're often using wide apertures (f/2 etc) and high ISO for action-stopping photos (they like these for showing off their form/technique). For time-lapses I think the constraints are relaxed somewhat as you're presumably after flow and continuity in your final footage.

As Owen suggests; drag the shutter. If your 5DII can show you the review image before the next shot is taken, then it has had time to write the image to the CF card. You can use that to optimize/maximize the exposure time, and thus maximize smoothness of the resulting footage. Obviously a fast CF card is beneficial. Set your aperture accordingly. Remember to twist the lens to avoid aperture flicker. I forget the technical term, but shooting the `dress rehearsal' (with lighting guy) is good for many fairly obvious reasons.

Taken to the extreme I've seen video art time-lapses where the exposure times were probably ~1sec. The dancers were just blurs & swirls half the time. The longer intervals meant a potentially greater time-lapse effect, but there's no law stating you have to play back at 24/30fps. This piece was probably played back at 10fps and it worked really well. Probably one of the best dance-lapses I've ever seen.

Yes, you can add all sorts of crap using QT Pro,
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42581

QT Pro is great for making a quick (preview) time-lapse, but I found it to be utterly hideous as an editor.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi,

Attached is the dance style I'll be doing the time lapse for. i've shot many still for them, but want to try something new.

The dance style, although intricate, move quite slowly. So I'm thinking trying to to make the time lapse at 15 fps. Even though I'd like it to be a bit slower, perhaps 10 fps, per your suggestion may be a way to go.

Thanks.

Attachments:
File comment: dance
s.bernardino-145.jpg [182.96 KiB]
Downloaded 492 times
Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:23 pm

I do not understand how one can shoot timelapse of a dance recital and end up with anything except a disquieting and annoying movie.
I'd suggest you obtain a very good video camera and shoot the recital from a single, locked down position. go manual on everything.
The movie can be processed many different ways to speed up (or even slow down) the action. If you can figure out how to shoot HDat 60 frames per second interlaced, you can end up with each second of real time divided up into 120 discrete slices. They're not anywhere as pixel-dense as what you'd get from a DSLR but what is your delivery format? It's probably DVD, right? Then shooting with a DSLR at anything larger than, say, a 1080 jpg, is a waste of resources. Unless you are planning on using the stills for other purposes, of course but if you are planning on making large prints, you must shoot fast shutter speeds--at least 1/250--of dancers, and be able to anticipate compose, focus, and fire at the peak moments. You cannot do that with a timelapse rig that is firing at a predetermined interval.

What do you hope to obtain with this timelapse? I've seen accelerated video of arena performances ad marching bands that help the choreographers see things they canot hope to discern in realtime. The movies are even kind of poetical. But I ca't imagine the dancers seeing them as helpful or desirable.

bogiesan

Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:14 pm

This is just something different I'm trying for the dance troupe. I don't know how it will turn out or if they'll even like it, but at the very least they'll have a 4-5 minutes clip of them dancing.

Also, the time lapse is just supplemental to the actual stills I'll be shooting during the recital. I'll have another camera to do that while my 5D is doing time lapse.

If for nothing else, at least I can use it as a learning exercise on how to shoot a time lapse.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:37 pm

saphuso wrote:
This is just something different I'm trying for the dance troupe. I don't know how it will turn out or if they'll even like it, but at the very least they'll have a 4-5 minutes clip of them dancing.
Also, the time lapse is just supplemental to the actual stills I'll be shooting during the recital. I'll have another camera to do that while my 5D is doing time lapse.
If for nothing else, at least I can use it as a learning exercise on how to shoot a time lapse.

Then I'd shoot at 60fps with an HD video camera. The options for post processing are far more interesting than if you have only a folder full of huge raw images taken once every few seconds.

bogiesan

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:37 am