It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Software to help with flicker 

Post Software to help with flicker
Howdy. I'm getting ready to start trying this all out. I know that I'm going to want to try and reach the holy grail of a time lapse sequence that covers a range of light conditions so I would like to try out using Av mode then correcting in post. Maybe an exercise in futility from what I read here... but maybe there is hope? I read references to software that can help. I'm planning to use Final Cut Pro (have a copy that was given to me but I've never installed so I don't really know what I'm getting into). Is there something to add to FCP that I can use to help with flicker? Or if I want to save my tired brain and use Final Cut Express (and not spend a lot of cash) is there software that I can use with this? And if all else fails, I see that Adobe Premier Elements was just released for the Mac - keeping with my them of not spending too much cash right out the door - can that work? Any advice?

Of course, I'm guessing the best thing is for me to just keep with scenes that don't have a huge change in exposure. It's just so tempting...

Thanks

UPDATE:
Immediately after posting my question I found a number of answers (of sort) on here as well as an Apple discussion thread. This was the most helpful:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2233481

Of course, I would still love to hear any advice.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:50 pm
Post Re: Software to help with flicker
GBtimelapse is a groovy plug-in and can do wonders. It's worth the price of admission. I'll also throw out there a built in effects to AE like 'time blend' This can add some ghosting to your shot but also can knock flicker down.

But here's my opinion: gigo and time

GIGO says start with acquisition, if it's possible to get clean footage why not start there and rely less on fickle post work.

time says your already committing a good amount of time to any single shot, why not save post time and shoot more. You'll always benefit from that!

All that said. :lol: Absorb the faq: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1871 and keep poking around. We've had a couple of discussions on the topic. ;)

Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:07 pm

Post Re: Software to help with flicker
Thanks Milapse... I'll be playing with this when I get the camera soon. Many things to consider. Guess there is no short cut to trial and error!

Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:19 pm