It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:07 pm

Lens suggestions 

Post Lens suggestions
Greetings,

New to time lapse, though not to long exposure photography. My question has to do with lenses. I will be ordering, next week, a 5D2 and a 17-40 f4 L for my light painting photography I already do, but I'm wondering what's the best lens for doing time lapse. I know that depends on what your shooting but I'm leaning towards an older FD 24mm prime lens either the f2 or f1.4 with an adapter unless the body won't support it. I will be shooting some Big Bend, west Texas desert shots as well as abandoned locations in more urban settings so there will be some light pollution. My understanding is to get the galaxy shots on moonless nights, you want as wide an aperture as you can afford?

What do you folks with Canon's FF bodies shoot with? I'll also be pre-ordering the stage 0 dolly from Dynamic Preciption to do my movements.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:56 pm

Post Re: Lens suggestions
I think you may have problems with the focus at infinity with old Canon FD glass.
Old Nikon glass is used to lock the aperture down and avoid the twisting trick to disengage the new Canon lenses.
The new Canon 24mm f1.4 is becoming a standard for TL users now especially wide open for starlapse :-)

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:09 pm

unozig wrote:
I think you may have problems with the focus at infinity with old Canon FD glass.
Old Nikon glass is used to lock the aperture down and avoid the twisting trick to disengage the new Canon lenses.
The new Canon 24mm f1.4 is becoming a standard for TL users now especially wide open for starlapse :-)

To help my wallet survive all this, how does the Canon 16-35 f2.8L preform? I could kill 2 birds with 1 Stone. Can you shoot the 24mm wide open with out issue?

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:13 pm

If was given the choice of only shooting one lens, it just might be the 16-35 f2.8. l love it for daytime and especially video, but it also can pull off the night work.

@YosemiteSteve

Canon 5D Mark II, 24mm f1.4, 16-35mm f2.8, 24-105mm f4, Sony EX1R, CamBLOCK Motion Control, KesslerCrane, CineSlider and some cold beer.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:20 pm

Another thing to be aware of when using FD lenses with an optical infinity adapter is that you lose at least 2/3 of a stop and there is a 1.25x magnification factor so the original 24mm becomes a slower 30mm.

The adapted FD lens is also pretty soft until you stop down to 5.6/8 or so.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:57 pm

matt b wrote:
Another thing to be aware of when using FD lenses with an optical infinity adapter is that you lose at least 2/3 of a stop and there is a 1.25x magnification factor so the original 24mm becomes a slower 30mm.

The adapted FD lens is also pretty soft until you stop down to 5.6/8 or so.

Great info, I didn't think of that.

Thanks

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:46 pm

In the same boat... How about...

1. Zeiss 18mm f/3.5 Distagon T* ZE
2. Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Tilt-Shift

I hear the TS lens is very popular for TL shooting... I am worried though about using a non-manual aperture lens. Is it really a big deal to have a manual aperture lens or is it just nitpicky?

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Except wide open on a non manual lens you will have to do the unlock and twist the lens trick to lock the aperture.
Hence old manual lens are popular especially for me now that I am doing some drivelapse shots :-)

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:18 am

unozig wrote:
Except wide open on a non manual lens you will have to do the unlock and twist the lens trick to lock the aperture.
Hence old manual lens are popular especially for me now that I am doing some drivelapse shots :-)

You can of course modify your lens too by drilling a second locking hole in it, positioned where the lens locks without the contacts engaged, so it is manual but won't fall off the camera.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:10 am

Well... The Zeiss has a manual aperture ring from what I understand, so I may just use that lens. I just don't really know how big of a deal the automatic apeture flicker is when the lens is wide open.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:30 am

Tarwin wrote:
Well... The Zeiss has a manual aperture ring from what I understand, so I may just use that lens. I just don't really know how big of a deal the automatic apeture flicker is when the lens is wide open.

You shouldn't get any flicker when wide open as the aperture is not moving. Any other f stop setting will entail the aperture opening wide open then closing down before the shutter fires each time. It's this closed position which is not 100% repeatable which causes the slight difference in exposures from frame to frame.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:54 am

Tarwin wrote:

from what I've seen the ZE mount don't have an aperture ring - you need the zf 1.0 (not 2.0) to get the manual aperture ring

tt

Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:57 am