It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:20 am

Help with kit for a new time lapser 

Post Help with kit for a new time lapser
Hi I am really keen to get into time lapses and would really appreciate a little help in ideas for kit to start. I have a Nikon D90 that I can use so I have three main questions for kit
1) A good Intervalometer
2) It has been suggested that I get a Milapse any reason not too?
3) I would like to get a Dolly and have seen one that uses a cable to pull in the dolly but can also be used to pull down a jib which I have access to, I might be able to build the dolly itself but its the stepper motor and controller I was wanting to find out about. Does anyone know what I mean or an inexpensive make?
I'm not sure I will be able to afford all this but would like to find out more about it and at least get started.
genneral

Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:40 pm

Post Re: Help with kit for a new time lapser
1) They are all pretty much the same, and do the same things mostly. You can't go too far wrong.
2) It is a good easy cheap way to get started with motion control. It has some limitations in terms of rigidity for use in windy conditions, but is good value for money.
3) There are lots of ways to go with building your own dollies, read through all the dolly threads here
viewforum.php?f=31
Also check out www.openmoco.org

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:24 am

Check out the Dynamic Perception dolly. Its less than half of the cost of anything else I've seen. Its probably a smoother ride than something you could throw together yourself. You can get the aluminum extrusion that is used as the dolly track in longer lengths up to about 20 feet or join two or more together to make a longer track.

The dolly motor moves a toothed rubber belt which could be clamped to the back of your jib. Weight the dolly motor down and it may be able to move the jib up or down as long as the jib is counterbalanced well enough that the dolly motor doesn't have to pull too hard to move it. You might want to ask Jay about how much pull you can get out of the dolly motor before it starts getting too hot.

I think Tom was using a prototype from kessler that worked like that. A weighted motor sat on the ground and reeled in a cable which pulled down on the back of the crane to raise the camera end up. This would just replace the cable with the toothed belt that came with the dolly, and use the dolly motor to drive it.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:28 am

Awesome guys thanks very much for the replies, I will have a look at all this.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:13 pm