It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:25 pm

Fall to Snow this wknd - shooting with 7D + intervalometer? 

Post Fall to Snow this wknd - shooting with 7D + intervalometer?
So I saw a weather service alert that the seasons are going to be changing quickly this weekend.

Supposed to go from fall weather to snow over the course of two days - which seems to me like almost an invitation for a timelapse of it :)

Saturday a first storm is supposed to move in - and I'm not going to get snow where I am - I'm likely going to get a lot of rain. Then Sunday evening it is supposed to have a heavier storm that will bring snow in.

I was thinking I could shoot 3 days - the first day would be a normal sunny fall day with yellow leaves on the tree, the next day would be a more dim day with rain coming down, and the 3rd day would be snow into the evening.

To go from night to day (the holy grail) smoothly I think is beyond my capability now with the gear I have. I have a porch in my backyard that I could set up my camera under to keep it reasonably protected from the rain and snow - and I can aim it at a tree to see the leaves and the snow hitting the tree.

I don't have any fancy gear like a bramper or any ND filters to help me adjust for the lighting differences - would shooting AV with Auto ISO and then planning to deflicker it afterwards in After Effects be a bad approach?

I shot one timelapse earlier with sraw of just my kids making some cookies to play with the technique a bit, I like it - but I'd want to shoot this one with full Raw so I could do some major pan and scan after the fact and make it look more interesting. I was thinking of the 5 or 10 minute interval because it would give me plenty of time to swap out memory cards and batteries (I have two LP-E6 batteries, and 2 16 GB CF cards) and not miss any shots - the intervalometer I have is a canon clone that would keep the time going when the camera battery is out.

It seems like this is potentially an interesting weather phenomena that would be a good thing to capture without having to commit my camera to it for more than a couple of days - or is this perhaps biting off more than I should try to chew for my first long timelapse?

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:00 pm

Post Re: Fall to Snow this wknd - shooting with 7D + intervalometer?
Yeh I think it's too much. I'd never shoot anything but manual. You will get a lot of flicker and at long intervals and no nd filters to drag the shutter it sounds disaster. I'm assuming it will get very windy too which I find never looks good. I'd just plan on doing many small shoots and editing together a final peice.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:27 pm

I think you are trying to run before you can walk on this major project.

Tell me you have read the The ULTIMATE timelapse FAQ thread ?

As "Owen" suggested do lots of small TL to increase your chance of getting a good outcome :-)

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 pm

My suggestion would be set up a wide shot with an interval of a minimum of 1 minute in AV mode.
You can then de-flicker then speed the footage up by about 4x to average out the frames even more.
Snow fall is hard to capture well as TL, as things pretty much turn instantly white, then the changes are very subtle unless you get a LOT of snow, which is typically hard to film through. What does work well is to have lots of varied shots, close-ups of snow building up and getting thicker on a hand-rail say.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:36 pm

I did read the ultimate faq, yes - which is what made me realize that it's probably not going to be easy :)

Yeah, I figured it was trying to run before I can walk :)

Thanks for the tips - I was thinking that snow might be a bit tough. My weber grills always seem to accumulate snow nicely when it first starts to fall - maybe I'll set up a shot of those - since I think snow on top of grills has a natural juxtaposition to it both in contrast (white on black) and in subject matter (cold on something that people usually think of being hot).

I'll try some shorter ones and see what I can do with them.

I'm rendering my first one now - just a 2160 frame one I shot of my kids making cookies at 1sec intervals (just a test, obviously). I should try to shoot some night stuff some night and see what I can do. (The timewarp plugin takes a lot of time to process - I probably should have just shot with 180 degree shutter to start with :) )

Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:19 pm

ryebrye wrote:
I'll try some shorter ones and see what I can do with them.

I'm rendering my first one now - just a 2160 frame one I shot of my kids making cookies at 1sec intervals (just a test, obviously).

360 shots should be enough giving you 12-15 secs of TL at 30/24fps.

Also gives you time to render it before going onto the next take.

Not forgetting keeping everything manual.....focus,shutter, aperture and WB .

Best of luck.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks for the tips.

I think you are right - 360 shots sounds like a good interval. I'll hope for some snow starting to fall and then set up the shot and swap cards and start rendering the first scene while I'm shooting the second.

The forecast seems to have shifted now and we might not get snow until Monday - and even then maybe not at my elevation - so I might have to wait until the snow starts to actually fly to get out and set up (but that will take only a matter of minutes)

I'll definitely shoot all manual - the other kind of photography I do a lot of is spherical panos so I'm quite used to making sure my camera is set up so that it wont try to change things between exposures when the images need to match up.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:54 am