It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:16 am

Correct Bracketing for HDR Timelapse 

Post Correct Bracketing for HDR Timelapse
Hi

Hope everyone is good and possibly has a few minutes to spare for some advice..

I mainly shoot Music Videos-narrative-commercial type pieces ...but I've always loved a great timelapse piece.

So here are a few questions if anyone doesn't mind helping me out. Cameras used are a 5D MKII and 1DMKIV.

1. For HDR timelapse, is it best to set your bracketed shots to be taken quick so its click click click (underexposed-medium-overexposed) etc or click 1-2 sec click 1-2 sec and click again (i just dont wanna end up with ghosts or weird artifacts if I leave the bracketed shots to be taken 2sec between each shot. At the moment im mainly shooting clouds/scenery etc

2. Is HDR recommended for night shots and is HDR always preferred for timelapse? Is it possible to make your timelapse look amazing without HDR?

3. RAW or JPG (only involving long lapses) just finding my cards get eaten up fast If I shoot in RAW mode for about 2 hrs rather then jpg (using SanDisk - Extreme 16gb - 60mb/s, and Extreme Pro 64gb - 90mb/s

4. Shutter Priority or Aperture Priority?

5. As for the ISO...in Stills mode I can't seem to boost the ISO, doesn't seem to be affecting anything?

I guess I'll just leave it as 5 questions for now before I piss anyone off haha...
Thanks for your time
Daniel

Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:56 am

Post Re: Correct Bracketing for HDR Timelapse
My 2 cents worth...

1. For HDR timelapse, is it best to set your bracketed shots to be taken quick so its click click click

Yes. On the remote set the bulb time to be the equivalent of holding down the shutter for long enough to get all 3 exposures, and set the interval time to be the time between each set. On the camera set the drive to burst mode. This will fire off the 3 shots in rapid succession, then the camera will not take any more until the shutter is reactivated on the next interval time.

2. Is HDR recommended for night shots and is HDR always preferred for timelapse? Is it possible to make your timelapse look amazing without HDR?

HDR is not needed for most shots. Use it anywhere you would for a still shot that you can't get all the detail you want. If you just shoot normal raw frames you can cover most situations just fine.

3. RAW or JPG (only involving long lapses) just finding my cards get eaten up fast If I shoot in RAW mode for about 2 hrs rather then jpg (using SanDisk - Extreme 16gb - 60mb/s, and Extreme Pro 64gb - 90mb/s

Raw will effectively give you an extra couple of stops of exposure

4. Shutter Priority or Aperture Priority?

Manual only. HDR processing often induces flicker. Any auto exposure modes only adds to the problem.

5. As for the ISO...in Stills mode I can't seem to boost the ISO, doesn't seem to be affecting anything?

? I'm guessing you have it in auto mode?

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:11 pm

thanks for your reply Antz, means alot

I'll give this a good try out soon :)

Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:53 am

A man with those cameras should definitely know what ISO does... Just my opinion. Antz pretty much went over everything that I could add to this though, so good luck.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:24 am