It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Airstreams Stuck in the ground......Suggestions? 

Post Airstreams Stuck in the ground......Suggestions?
I shot this last night, however I ran into a severe dew/condensation problem that I was not aware of until the end of the TL. So I only got 6 seconds of usable footage.

My setup
5D2 with the 17-40 (exif data says 29mm) not much of lens hood
Camera was riding on the Kessler shuttle pod on 8 feet of track
I had planned on 1.5 hour slide TL
ISO 3200 6 second exposure at F-8
10 second interval.
My metadata says 19 seconds from one shot to the next
Total shooting time was 1.5 hours

I’m going back tonight to give it another go, I have a neighbor that has dew buster that he going to loan me, and I might try the 24-70 since it has a much larger hood. My other thought was to drop the ISO lower to create longer exposures that may help with the flicker on the RV’s (the flicker is actually coming from the cars on the interstate, which is just behind me. The other thing I’m fighting is light pollution from sodium mercury lights which falls on about half of the RV’s which only leaves me 4 with non-polluted light.

Tonight I’m going try the same slide with the dew buster and then on another camera I’m going use the Kessler Revolution head to do a simple pan, I’m not sure if I’m ready for a slide and pan in the same TL.

I’m open to any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks
Mark

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:49 am

Post Re: Airstreams Stuck in the ground......Suggestions?
one thought - use an artificial light source (Tom seems to like the little camp lights, I've used mini-mag lights as spot lights) to even out both the head lights and the sodium color. It doesn't take much light at long exposures so bring something(s) to cover up the light (Tom mentioned a pillow case once) - of various opacities to get the correct exposure.

Cool looking shot - that's pretty funny, I've never seen that before - Cadillac ranch on steroids :)

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:56 am

There's a total of 8 airstream s in the ground, but the 4 on the right are in heavy light from the sodium vapor lights, almost too much light. I do like the idea of using artificial light, but for now I think Ill stick to natural light. I may try a shot from the backside, but then I will have the interstate with cars in the back ground.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions about the exposure times and or intervals.

Thanks
Mark

Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:57 pm

I'd say go for much longer exposures, probably 30 seconds and just set for continuous exposures, and slow down the dolly slightly to compensate. Put the iso up to around 800, don't use the higher numbers unless you need to.
Means a lot longer to capture the sequence of course, but you will also get a lot more star movement which will make it more dramatic.

Possibly even bring your overall exposure up more to capture more detail in the sky, then use levels in post to bring the darker areas back down again?

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:26 pm