It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:41 pm

Editing soundtrack in VirtualDub. 

Post Editing soundtrack in VirtualDub.
Hi guys,
I just need help with editing in music into my TL video. Let's say I am putting several TL AVI files together using VirtualDub, and I want to edit in music all the way through the AVI files, how would I go about doing that? At the moment I have been doing it the hard way. By arranging all my photos in the correct sequence and editing in the music. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Edmond.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:04 am

Post Re: Editing soundtrack in VirtualDub.
Hello again guys,
Oh, never mind. I've figured it out after many trial and errors. Thanks alot for your help.

Edmond.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Hi Edmond,
Sorry, I meant to reply to this and forgot about it again. I've never added music to my videos in VirtualDub and wasn't even aware how to do it. Found a little tutorial here, but it's very basic. If you actually ended up trying to do some editing, fitting footage and music together, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience. I've just been recommending other software for doing that because it didn't seem straightforward in VirtualDub, but maybe it's not as bad as I thought...

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Hello gents,
Phew! I was just about to give up on you guys. Thank you for responding flyvholm. I've found this link on the web. http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/divx-encoding.htm. It guides you on how to join two AVI files together and editing in music as well using VirtualDub. There's also this

He shows you how to fade in and fade out titles using VirtualDub. I've tried duplicating Torbjorn's method but the fading doesn't seem to work in VirtualDub. I've got as far as applying the FadeFX filters three times like he did, but when I previewed the output by pressing the output play button at the bottom, all I get is a black screen all the way through. I am stomped at the moment. I might have to give up on the adding a fading in and out effect for my title. Too bad. Can't really afford to buy some fancy editing software at the moment. :( . If someone here have another idea using VirtualDub I'd be greatful. Thank you.

Best regards,
Edmond.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks for posting those links. I am not sure what is happening for you with the FadeFX filter. I gave it a quick try the same way it was done in the video, and it came out as expected. The obvious explanation would be if you by accident had specified a wrong frame number for one of the three parts, but you'd probably have caught that by now. In my working example the filter dialogue box reads:
Black out frames 0 to 24
Fade in frames 25 to 49
Fade out frames 125 to 149
If yours is essentially the same, I'm not sure what could be the explanation. Are you applying any other filters? What codec and export settings? If you actually output the video (instead of just previewing the output inside VirtualDub) does it come out all black too?

There are other VirtualDub filters that can do fading too. Here's a list of available filters:
http://www.infognition.com/VirtualDubFi ... ailed.html

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:23 am

Hello again flyvholm,
That's strange..... it worked in your computer but not in mine. As far as I can remember I used the h_264 codec single pass for compression. When I viewed it in Windows video player, it just came out 6s worth of black screen before my TL video starts. I'll try another codec compression setting.
But all of this trouble would be for nothin anyway, because I'm planning on upgrading my computer soon so I can run a more intuitive video editing software. Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,
Edmond.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:01 pm