It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:23 am

Help and oppinion on my timelapse 

Post Help and oppinion on my timelapse
Hey guys, this is my first post on the forums here, just curious as to what you think of my timelapse and if you could give me any explained advice as to how i could improve?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4n5yaBExEI

Also please watch it in HD! its not very clear otherwise!!!!!!!!!

Also if anyone can answer a quick question, I want to do a timelapse from daytime to midnight, how do i go about changing the settings so the camera pics up daytime clouds to the nights stars and moon?

Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:39 am

Post Re: Help and oppinion on my timelapse
If you check out this thread you will learn a lot about time lapse:

http://timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1871

I know I learned a lot from this thread.

Scott

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:00 am

Hey Scott, thanks that did help alot but still didnt exactly answer my question about if i have to change the settings for the light change from day to night?

I think i may know how, is it by using AV mode? and u just set your iso and shutter and let the camera work out the apature?

Thanks!

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:41 pm

It's in there; the two short sections under the figure with the intervalometer and the last section about the "holy grail". Yes, the best you can do for now is to set the camera to AV (aperture priority) or P (program mode) to let the camera automatically adjust the shutter speed (in P it can adjust the aperture too). Unfortunately, if you're using a DSLR it will change the exposure time (and aperture if in P) in steps that will cause flicker in the finished video. If you are lucky you may be able to remove that with a deflicker filter, but often it won't quite go away. :-( This is why people try elaborate and somewhat complicated workarounds which is what the last section in the FAQ is about.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks buddy, i guess ill just give it a go and see how it turns out.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi,

I'm also just beginning to take TL and have been doing tonnes of shots/footage the last few weeks so here might be some things you might want to try out which should give better results. The 2 main problems I can see are colour flickering and jerky movements.

The colour flickering is most probably due to white balance being set in auto, so you might want to try it out at one of the presets/custom one before taking the shots. If taken in RAW, you can adjust them in post so they are all in the same "colour cast".

The jerkiness is most probably due to a relatively short shutter when compared to the interval at which the shots were taken. According to most advice I find here, it is actually ok to drag the shutter such that even if your subject/stars are soft/slightly blurry, it will be fine after running them in 24/30fps. So you should try to either lengthen the shutter, shorten the interval, or even both depending on the conditions.

There also seems to be a slight "reverse jump" around 00:12s so you might want to check the sequence of your files.

IMHO, you should only attempt day-night transitions only after you are more familiar with shooting in constant light.

My 2 cents...shoot more!

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:46 pm