It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:25 pm

My First Time Lapse -Night to Day 

Post My First Time Lapse -Night to Day
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bus_ter/5139744998/

My first time lapse video, I found the whole process pretty cool, and think I've got the bug. I searched around online for more info and found this place. Simply blown away by some of the videos on here!

I didn't really know what I was doing so set the camera (Nikon D5000) to take a shot every 10 seconds. However the start of the filming was quite dark and the camera automatically started taking 30s exposures, then eventually down to 25s, 20s etc as the light levels improved. Because of this I have too few frames at the start of the video and the whole thing is much shorter than I hoped after standing out in the cold for an hour at sun rise.

I've read that you need to keep all settings manual. However if I was to do this the start of the film would be black, and then would quickly become blown out as the light levels increased. Setting Aperture priority as I did kind of worked, execept you don't get much of a feel for night turning to day, and the exposures are too long.

Can anyone offer me any advice to improve my time lapse videos? and perhaps any resources that tell you how to work exposure going from day/night?

Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:21 pm

Post Re: My First Time Lapse -Night to Day
What you're asking about is the 'Holy Grail of Timelapse'. Many have tried and failed. Some have tried and died.

Have a good look around on the forum. There are a couple of badass guys who have cracked it.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:36 pm