It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:34 pm

I'M NEW! 

Post I'M NEW!
I think I just found my new chill place while online. I'm kinda new to timelapse, been reading up on it and getting the hang of it. A few things that I'm currently interested in, how people are shooting day to night and vice versa... I read that this is the biggest pain, and would love any articles on it.

Also I'm looking into buying some type of glider / dolly / track with some type of step motor for panning and what not. I have a few in mind, but would love to hear what you guys are using. As budget friendly as I can get...

Right now I'm based up in Alaska (USAF) and I'm on a personal mission named "Aurora Hunting." It's so darn expensive traveling all over up here trying to get the perfect backdrops. I'm paying out of my butt for fuel, camping gear, and not just regular camping gear mind you.... gear that will keep me as close to comfortable -20F or colder. Bringing up another good question. How cold have you guys gotten a 5D Mark II, LOL...

Well, I'm thrilled to have joined this forum, I've been following Tom Lowe for over a year possible two... Yes I'm a stalker. I'm sure everyone here knows that he's made a name for himself regarding this topic, and like someone else has said, he inspires me and at the same time makes me wonder why I even try! However, I've yet seen him shoot an aurora so maybe this is why... Stay down south TOM! Hah, actually come on up and show me a thing or two.

Now back to scouring the forum.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Post Re: I'M NEW!
Welcome to the forum!

Day and night transitions are particularly tough. Unless you have some specific hardware http://www.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1893 you are probably going to have to set the camera to auto and deflicker in post. There are a couple of methods described on these forums, but this one looks very promising http://www.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3359

The Dynamic Perceptions dolly might be what you are after. Made by Milapse and Shutterdrone from this forum, it is probably the cheapest motorised dolly out there. While it is cheap it also seems to be very capable, well made and is upgradeable in the future. What more could you ask for! viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2363

Antz would be the one to talk to about the temperature tolerance of the 5DmII. He is based in Antarctica and has no doubt encountered many of the problems you will face. Hopefully he will chime in on this thread for you.

Hope this helps.

Scorch.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:25 am

I've had my 5D2 out in 40 below no problem, the batteries do surprisingly well in the cold compared to earlier models. Once you get much colder you'll need to go to an external power supply or some sort. Lead-acid is the most reliable in the cold.

It is a risk though with the extreme cold on the electronics, as components or circuit boards can fracture.
I've been lucky enough to not have any Canon SLR cameras fail from it, and I have REALLY thrashed a lot of them, but I have seen a couple of other people's smaller cameras go belly-up.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:30 pm

"Unless you have some specific hardware viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1893"

Hey I followed this guy for a little while but thought he never finished it! Awesome I'm going to look into this and glad to see he's a part of the community. Going to look into that dolly now!

Antz - I've had it in -20 but was curious how it would fair in -60 to -30... I too have been floored by the canon batteries! The cold doesn't bother them much, I figured I would have to look into some sort of external power supply. I'm just hoping I can find something that isn't TOO heavy for cold weather expedition packing, cold weather gear + camera and lenses are heavy as it is!

Thanks again!

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:09 pm

I can highly recommend the Bramper, I have been using one from the first batch for several months now. Once you get your head around the procedure it becomes an indispensable part of your kit. The next batch will be even better if you can get one allocated to you. I haven't tried it out in the cold, so I can't comment on that. I think I remember reading that leaving the LCD light on helps in the colder temperatures.

Good luck and look forwards to seeing some work from you soon.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:56 am

Hey thanks Scorchio... I shot him a message on the forum. I'd love to get my hands on one.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:09 am