It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:41 am

how can I fix this? 

Post how can I fix this?
Thank you for giving me the opportunity 'to take advantage of this forum, and sorry for my English ... I do not speak much English here in Italy.

Even I am sick of timelapse, lately I'm 'doing a lot in night and I'm' having problems with halos in shades of color, how can I delete these horrible rainbows from my video?

This is a frame from a video timelapse, I darkened with photoshop to highlight the problem.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9978 ... h39m07.png

Thanks to all

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Post Re: how can I fix this?
Main thing to do, shoot RAW not JPEG.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Or use highest quality when converting/saving raws to jpgs or pngs.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:09 pm

1) Do your original photos look okay? RAW or JPG?

2) Do you post process them and save them again (as jpg, png or other compressed format) before compiling them into a video?

3) What video codec do you use to compile the videos, and what quality settings or bitrate do you use for the codec?

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:22 am

Hey guys,

Canon 5DM2, yes i shoot in jpgs full quality, the original photo : http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2457/originalxh.jpg

In the original picture we can notice it mildly, is passable, but when I decide to open it in quicktime sequence becomes unwatchable.

My timelapse night they suffer this problem and I can not 'find a solution ..

It would be important for me to find a way to not get this ugly problem.

Work in windows and Vegas Pro, which you think is the best method to obtain greatest quality without this problem '?
Do you think that shooting Raw can 'be the solution?

I have neoscene codec, but does not result in the QuickTime player.
In any case the problem persists even without codec compression.

Thanks again to all

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:30 am

Thanks for posting an original photo, that is helpful. The JPG compression is definitely part of the problem, so shooting RAW would help. However, if you can't open RAW or a different uncompressed format (e.g. DNG, TIFF) directly in Quicktime or Vegas, then you'll still have to compress the photos before processing. I don't know if software can do a much better job than what the camera does on the finest quality setting. (That is not to say that I don't think it can, simply that I just don't know because I've never compared the two.)

Sesa wrote:
the problem persists even without codec compression

Worse than in the original JPGs? That shouldn't be the case.
Using a non-optimal codec or codec compression settings can make the problem much worse. I am not familiar with Neoscene so can't comment on that. I'm using x264 currently and have used Xvid in the past and been happy with the results. These are both free downloads, so maybe worth a shot to see if that helps. For compression settings you can set either a quantizer or specify a bitrate. You can also try encoding in multiple passes. Play around with these options to see what gives you the best results.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Flyvholm Thanxs!
In the meantime I worked on the settings neoscene and more 'than anything else on the contrast curve, I finally solved the problem. :geek:

My way was to import images directly into Vegas Pro sequence on a 4K timeline, working on colors contrast and exposure, and export with codec neoscene 1080P at quality (film scan 2) http://techblog.cineform.com/?p=288

Now look okay, i must be careful to colorgrading for this type of problems and neoscene in the Windows environment is helpful.

It 'still very interesting to me the technique for processing raw timelapse, maybe I have a chance' to optimize even more 'the images sequence.

Greetings to all for now..

Sesa.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Awesome! As it happens I learned something from this too. I said before that the JPG compression was "definitely part of the problem", but I take that back. What I thought to be posterization due to JPG compression - much to my surprise because I shoot lots of night footage in JPG and never get the kind of posterization I was seeing in your photo - actually turned out to be a problem on my end. I happened to be using a different laptop when checking it, and apparently that laptop currently doesn't display JPG photos in their full color space for some reason. I've run into that issue before with videos that were decoded in a limited color space (DivX had taken over decoding of my Xvid videos and made a mess of it), causing terrible posterization, but I managed to fix that. I didn't know that it can be an issue for JPG photos too, will have to look into what's happening. Now that I'm back to my new laptop your JPG image looks perfectly smooth as does the last processed image you posted. Lesson learned, it is not only the compression of videos/photos that can cause posterization problems. Occasionally the problem lies in the decompression when the image/video is displayed, just to add to the complexity of the issue. If other people occasionally run into similar problems when viewing JPGs, no wonder there can be such disagreement about the quality (and the need for shooting RAW).

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:43 am

Okkey, so 'is much better to shoot in RAW and then convert in full quality jpg (tiff? Png?)
By setting a long work would be a space problem even with a 32gb card ? how about shoot medium and small RAW ? ..

With my limited knowledge, shoot a timelapse at night and with a rich compositions of fumes, mists, etc., the risk of posterization is always there.
Im only able to decrease the problem right now , but I'm happy to be in this amazing forum full of informations ... thank you all! :|

Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:31 pm

Yes, it's best to shoot Full RAW.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:25 am

Sesa wrote:
Okkey, so 'is much better to shoot in RAW and then convert in full quality jpg

Opinions differ. Try shooting RAW+JPG and see for yourself what difference it makes in order to decide if it is worth the extra effort/resources shooting RAW.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:06 am

Explains very well the problem here,
http://www.jmg-galleries.com/articles/R ... image.html

this is the source: http://www.jmg-galleries.com/articles/r ... ge_gallery

I think that from now on I will use 'only raw for my next timelapse .

Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Ohuc, :?

I learned only now that AfterEffects can 'manage RAW files ..
where I can find a guide or topic to find out how I can best use AE for time lapse please?

Import RAW files directly in the timeline without converting to jpg can be useful to maintain a high level of quality for the rendering, is that correct?
also useful to have no jpg compression artifacts ...

Sorry again for my poor English..

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:23 pm