It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:54 am

Budget Homebrew Time Lapse Information 

Post Budget Homebrew Time Lapse Information
New to the time lapse idea but when talking to some MNR personnel they had mentioned that I should be using a time lapse camera to monitor a deer winter feeding zone.

The equipment he mentioned was made by http://www.brinno.com/html/product02a.html

I was reading about the CDSK firmware for Cannon cameras and that peaked my interest on tring to put something together that should have more capabilities then a the commercially sold item.

I would like to use a budget style camera with a external remote port. With a timer remote with unlimited shots

I did find a DIY on how to wire some of the major camera brands remote port to a universal mic style connector also.

I think from my reading that it would be the simpliest setup for what I want it to do.

Please give me some suggestions and help

Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:35 am

Post Re: Budget Homebrew Time Lapse Information
CHDK and Canon cameras will solve your problems I think. Either you use a script to take pictures at intervalls or you build a cable if you for some reason want to remotly shot the camera. Describe your problem in detail if you need more help!

http://vimeo.com/user4368833

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:39 am

With CHDK and an inexpensive Canon powershot camera you can do motion detection and interval shooting. I have recently been playing with it and it works pretty well, all I have done is started creating raw files from the camera and I have done several time lapses as well. Just google CHDK and you will find a ton of info on doing this.

Scott

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks for the information

Not looking for motion detection at this time but it is cool to here that there is that option.

I was thinking the the CDSK might be alittle tough to setup if all I wanted to do is take a pic every 2-5mins.

After reading it looked like there were external remotes with timers in them that will release the shutter.

With these to options available is there some recommendations of a budge camera that would work well with
CDSK
or
External remote with timmer

I have plans to modify the units to operate on external batteries to get days out of it hopefully :)

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:08 pm

Thanks for the information

I am currently looking for a used camera to test with :)

Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:35 pm