It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:04 pm

Hello....Im New to Timelapse 

Post Hello....Im New to Timelapse
Hello Everyone,

My Name is NIck, Im from the UK (Currently touring in Germany as an Ice Technician for a Holiday On Ice Show) I found your forum yesterday and all i can say is wow this is what ive been looking for :)

I have had a huge interest in Photography for a long time but have never really found the time to learn or put what i know into practise. You could say im a slightly experienced beginner. When it comes to taking normal everyday photos and the editing that can come after im rubbish. I really am rubbish at taking that beautiful pic everyone tries to get. But i do think im quite good with the Photoshop and movie making software side of things.

Anyway, Timelapse. I was given an TC-80N3 Timer Remote for x-mas, but unfortunately i only own a Canon 400d and this remote is not compatible. But one of the guys im touring with owns a 50d, and he let me steal it for 30min and i was able to take my first timelapse. 1080p is your friend please :)

Ok so it was the an hour before the show last night, and after a quick play with the remote, i decided that the 30min before the show when the audience are arriving would make for an interesting little snippet. So I set up the Camera on a Tripod, set the Interval to 3 seconds, and the exposure was 1.5 seconds. The Video is set at 15fps because i read on a tutorial a wile back that 15fps was pretty standard for timelapse, but you say 24? I a friend said my timelapse should have been a bit faster so im tempted to see what it looks like in 24fps but im happy with how it turned out. It was only a test run anyway.

So, i spose im here for Advice more than anything. Until i can get a remote compatible with my canon 400d il be using my mac book pro with the Eos utility to take the pics as i have not managed to Get the camera to work with a stop motion application (istopmotion) I just have to work out how to get the camera to take pics quicker than every 5sec which is all it is allowing me to do atm.

So what advice can you give me to someone just starting out? The videos ive seen here from you guys are insane and i love all of your work. Im really going to push this hobby as i think i would like to take a brake from my current work and try something new and this looks like something i could do.

Im not looking at buying a new camera untill i really need to or i destroy my 400d (im gonna abuse the shutter alot :P) i have one of those guerrilla Tripods and 2 lenses (which i know nothing about) 1x canon 38-80mm and a tamron 80-210mm both came with the camera which i bought 2nd hand. I have 3 batteries and a very cheap wide angle/macro attachment.

Next week i will be attempting to set up my camera to record the show get in at the next city, its about 13 hours long and as i will be quite far away and the movements that will be seen are either very large or very small i think a pic every 30sec will do the trick unless im horribly mistake then it will have to be every 5 sec.

Sorry for the wall of text but im extremely excited that i found this forum and im hoping with your help i can achieve something as fantastic as you all

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 am

Post Re: Hello....Im New to Timelapse
I like it,
Unfortunately, my 1st attempt didn't work out nearly as well.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:11 pm