It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:08 pm

Flickering 

Post Flickering
Yes I read the faq... I may have missed something, or maybe i just dont know what im doing...
Ok, so im experiancing flicker... My exposure setting were f22 and 1/50 shutter speed on Manual mode.
It was daylight and i was shooting 1 shot every 15 seconds, there was a bit of cloud cover and I suspect that it is the cause of the flicker.

Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Post Re: Flickering
Do you have a link to the video? Could be the iris trying to get down to f22 every shot but not acurate every time. Try this trick to see if it helps. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=435

Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:12 pm

Im a Nikon guy, my lens has a lever in the back of it, when the camera doesnt push down on it it goes to the smallest aperture (unless i use a lens that specifically has a stop for the aperture). My camera also does not go to the most closed aperture between shots, if i shoot at f4, the aperture will stay at f4 (I know this for sure, I have 2 lenses that i can see the aperture on from the outside). I have a Nikon D5000 if that helps any. Ill try to post a vid tomarrow

Edit: The aperture doesnt open between shots rather...

Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Can you post the clip that shows flicker?

I also shoot Nikon and do not get flicker when I shoot in full manual mode (I have primarily the G lenses so I can not manually stop down the lens and I had forgotten that you could do that - thanks for the reminder) but I do see variations in light levels due to clouds coming and going in the scene.

Scott

Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:01 am

I used to get a lot of flickering when I started shooting on a Canon 350D (Digital Rebel). Since I moved to a Canon 5DmkI I haven't had any problems with flickering. The lower-end camera bodies have much bigger tolerances in my experience.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:32 pm

could it be because you are shooting 1 framer every 15 seconds and the clouds are changing too much between shots thus causing the flicker?

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:16 pm

I too shoot with a Nikon(D300s) and I can "vouch" that flicker can get quite apparant despite using Full Manual mode. This is especially so when you stop all the way down to f/22 as I already noticed it at f/5.6 on a f/2.8 lens, but it can't really be avoided when you want to do a timelapse in daylight.

There are 3 ways I go about overcoming this in order of preference/frequency of use:

1) Use a deflicker program. While I primarily use AE, I will first run a problematic sequence through VirtualDub with the deflicker filter before bringing the "cleaned up" sequence into AE. This usually works quite well.

2) Use a ND filter if you already got one. I sometimes use these to keep the aperture wide open. Remember the flickering is most probably due to inconsistent aperture movement so the less it moves, the better. Try keeping the ISO down to a minimum too. Sometimes I even use a GND depending on the situation.

3) I know you can only use "G" lenses, but an old/used AFD lens can be gotten for really cheap and does the work pretty well as you can adjust the lens iris manually and do the "half-twist" method. I don't do this often because the AFD lens I got was 50mm and kinda tight for my preference. Only down side is you ahve to MF on your D5000...

My 2 cents!

Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:42 pm