It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:28 pm

Recommended exposure time? 

Post Recommended exposure time?
What would be the recommended exposure time for shadows moving across the ground with 10 sec. intervals? Or what are your normal settings for shadow time lapse?

Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:46 am

Post Re: Recommended exposure time?
The exposure time should be slower the better, say 1/30 sec.
However for the big picture it's the interval time that needs to be large, say 30 secs.
The sun tracks at 15 degrees per hour horizontally across the sky.
So for a TL at 30 fps you need to shoot for a couple of hours at least using the above 30 sec interval.
eg. 15 mis of shooting will give you 1 sec of TL.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:19 am

Wouldn't having the interval set at (let's say) 10 or 15 secs give you a smoother final outcome, though? I know it would be more pictures. Quite a bit more. But, wouldn't it help?

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:51 am

chan90 wrote:
Wouldn't having the interval set at (let's say) 10 or 15 secs give you a smoother final outcome, though? I know it would be more pictures. Quite a bit more. But, wouldn't it help?

If you could use a ND filter to get you exposure time longer then that would be the best depending on the subject. 15-20 second exposure will smooth it out and keep your count down.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Thank you. I'll definitely go pick up a ND filter soon. Is a 10 stop filter overkill, you think?

Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:14 pm

Maybe. Depends on the amount of light you are dealing with.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... nsity.html

A kit like this might give you some more flexibility.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:33 am

A few different ND's are always handy to have in your bag. I use a 6 and 10 stop quite regularly so that I can get my aperture in the sweet spot and a shutter speed long enough to keep things smooth. I would be buggered without them. On most shoots you are going to have to compromise on some aspect, so having more options is always a good thing.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:56 am

Scorchio wrote:
A few different ND's are always handy to have in your bag. I use a 6 and 10 stop quite regularly so that I can get my aperture in the sweet spot and a shutter speed long enough to keep things smooth. I would be buggered without them. On most shoots you are going to have to compromise on some aspect, so having more options is always a good thing.

In broad daylight what kind of exposure times are you getting when you use the 6 and 10 stop filters?

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:17 am

If you have an exposure of say 1/250th, then adding the 10 stop will reduce it to about 4 seconds. The 6 stop will reduce it to about 1/4 seconds. If I am not bramping I usually like to have the smallest interval possible or no interval and lock the shutter down. So being able to get the exposure into the seconds is quite important, especially on a very bright day.

One thing to note when buying a strong ND is the colour cast. Some ND's are a lot worse than others. I use a B+W 10 stop at the moment and that has quite a strong colour cast towards the red. That is quite easily sorted out in post with some white balance and channels adjustments, but it does take a little fiddling. The B+W 6 stop has a slight cast that is very easy to remove in post. The Lee filters would be the better option, but they do cost more.

A word of warning though. A friend bought a cheap ND from E-bay a while ago that was terrible. A really nasty colour cast and it caused local image distortions. He only used it once.

Hope that helps.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:51 am