It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:52 am

Final stills output for TL movie? 

Post Final stills output for TL movie?
Ok, so I have 360 processed HDR images as 8 bit tiff files. If I export these as say HD 720 from Aperture 3, I get massive movie file. Would it be better to use jpegs rather than Tiffs so that the final movie is easier to upload and play? What would be a standard formular in this case?

Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:56 am
Post Re: Final stills output for TL movie?
What video codec are you using? I have a feeling your exporting 'uncompressed'...

Try quicktime with a 'photo jpeg' compressor. (It's a little confusing but .mov 'photo jpeg' is a VIDEO codec)

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:06 am

Thanks Jay,
Yes, I Export at 720 and Aperture 3 creates the Quicktime movie. But as a rule of thumb (considering most Timelpses are used for TV and Web) is it better to convert all the images into medium size jpegs for the Quicktime player?
However, for large cinema movie screens, I assume using tiffs would be expected as the edited time lapse would be processed in Final Cut Pro anyway. But for general web applications like Vimeo and Youtube, it seems logical not to load a timelapse that is much bigger than 350mb....... is this right?

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:01 am
Your missing one concept here... The Codec : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_codec

The .mov file is just a 'wrapper', inside that file is a codec. H264 is a codec and great for online video because its small and uploadable. PhotoJPG is a codec and great for quality / filesize / editing. There are many many more....

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:54 am

Hi Jake,
I think you might be misunderstanding one point - the type of file and size of your source stills has no effect on the final movie output size.
for example I could use 300x200 highly compressed jpgs, of only a few K each but output a 1920x1080 uncompressed movie that will be huge (look horrible though :). OR use 4k tiffs and output a 320x200 h.264 that is tiny. It's the codec and settings you output that determine size, not the input.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:58 am

Ok I see, so there's no point in filling up my hard drive with massive tiffs from HDR bracketed RAW's because the codec will compress a perfectly good high res jpeg without loss of quality. You see I only use tiffs for printing large pictures and jpegs for web stuff. So the best reason to shoot time lapses in RAW is due to the editing flexibility in post, and of course if the light has high contrast etc.

So this will be my HDR workflow.......
1, Time lapse shot in RAW (bracketed) 360x5 =1800 total images
2, Batch processed in HDR Expose, (merged images become 360 high res jpegs)
3, 360 jpegs sequenced in Quicktime Pro
4 Quicktime Pro timelapse movie exported from Aperture 3 as H264 1280 x 720 for upload to Youtube etc.

Hope I'm not miles off the mark...... its still a but opaque for me the post work. thanks Guys..

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:48 pm