It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:02 am

Intermittent flicker 

Post Intermittent flicker
Hello-
This is my first post here.... and yes, I am new to DSLR timelapse.

I have done quite a bit of timelapse with video using intervalometers, and always have enjoyed great success and relative ease. I recently purchased an intervalometer for my Canon 7D with high expectations of similar results. I've seen enough online to get me excited! However, all of my initial tests have displayed troubling flickering which I can only assume is aperture flicker. I have shot on manual settings only, with locked aperture at f2.8. The flicker is intermittent, but noticeable enough to make me revert to my video camera for my timelapses if I cannot resolve it.

Since I'm shooting a Canon, I have read that this issue is probably due to the lack of a manual aperture ring. If this is the case, I'm guessing my only options are:
1) buy an adapter to use either Nikon or old FD Canon (bayonet) lenses with manual aperture rings
2) get some software which may correct this in post. (I'm using FCP v6) Do any of these really work? I'm not crazy about adding another element to the workflow.
3) stop down the lens, and remove it (while holding down the stop down button) and tape over the contacts and replace the lens

Am I missing anything else? What is the best approach? I'm kind of disappointed this is not as straightforward as I had hoped. The parts of my timelapses which were fine looked very, very promising! But most of what I shoot is for a variety of national broadcast programs, and I know the flicker will not fly with clients..... so if I'm going to offer this option, I've got to make it as flicker-free as my video cameras have been.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:28 am
Post Re: Intermittent flicker
You don't have to tape over contacts... While holding down the DOF preview unlock the lens and slightly twist it. That's it! :D

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:37 am