It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:33 am

Export Settings for HD Timelapse + How to Fix jerky Footage 

Post Export Settings for HD Timelapse + How to Fix jerky Footage
Hi, I attempted a timelapse for the first time yesterday and as it turns out, I already made a mistake. I left the IS on so the footage is jumpy. While it isn't terrible (it almost looks intentional) I was wondering if if there is anything I could do to remedy it in After Effects. The movie consists of 450 frames shot over an hour to be played at 24 fps. I imported the raw images into After Effects as a sequence and exported a copy suitable for Vimeo, but also want to export for viewing on an HD TV or similar screen. I'm not sure what settings to use. If I leave it uncompressed it will be far too large. Any suggestions on either issue or tips on the general timelapse process are greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:50 pm
Post Re: Export Settings for HD Timelapse + How to Fix jerky Footage
Take a look at the track/stabilization tools in AE. ;)

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEf ... -7c4c.html

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:53 pm

I am not used to work in After Effects, but it should be able to export it in a suitable format anyway.

You´re not specifying what is the purpose with the videofile after exporting. You´re just saying watching it on a HD TV. But if you want to keep it as a sequence, using it later together with other material in an edited sequence, you have to go very carefull on compression, and you have to choose a codec and a container suitable for an editing program.

If you just want to show it for friends, family colleagues, you might not have to worry too much, because they don´t care, whereas an editor and his equipment cares a great deal.

I don´t know the export options inside After Effects, but AVI and Quicktime should be standard options. If the AVI export doesn´t leave you with enough options, you have to go for uncompressed. With Quicktime I would suggest Apple Prores 422 codecs, either the standard or the HQ. Those would be my recommendations for storing a master output format, although I don´t see AVI files around anymore.

After Effects should work together with the Adobe Media Encoder, and here the h.264 codec is an option too, amongts other FLV options. If you don´t care about storing it for further work in an editing situation the h.264 is okay. I just wouldn´t recommend if for editing. It is possible, though, to use it later on with h.264, but I think this codec is a little bit too effecient to leave an unharmed file even at a high bitrate, and it´s extremely hardware demanding too, when it comes to unpacking in an editing program.

But as it is with most compressed formats, Full HD has to have a minimum bitrate of 35 mb/s. The h.264 codec is probably so efficient, that you can cut of 10% or so.

Export as a master format for editing, try Quicktime export settings the Pro Res 422 will give you a bandwidth of 145 mbit/s and the Pro Res 422 (HQ) will give you 220 mbit/s. Regarding AVI there might be some options I don´t know about, I just prefer to get them uncompressed, since in most cases these files has be converted once you start working on them.

Exporting in the h.264 codec should give you the option called HD TV 1080p 24 High Quality. At least this is available in Adobe Media encoder as a preset. The only thing is, that the preset comes with a VBR single pass, choose VBR multipass instead. And with these setting you´ll be left with only 33 mbit/s as an average an 40 mbit/s as max. That would serve the purpose watching it on HD TV, but I still won´t recommend it for storing as a master.

There are other codecs available as well, but it´ll go a little bit too far discussing MPEG-2, Long GOPs, and AVC Intra here and now

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:41 pm

torben wrote:
Hi, I attempted a timelapse for the first time yesterday and as it turns out, I already made a mistake. I left the IS on so the footage is jumpy. While it isn't terrible (it almost looks intentional) I was wondering if if there is anything I could do to remedy it in After Effects. The movie consists of 450 frames shot over an hour to be played at 24 fps. I imported the raw images into After Effects as a sequence and exported a copy suitable for Vimeo, but also want to export for viewing on an HD TV or similar screen. I'm not sure what settings to use. If I leave it uncompressed it will be far too large. Any suggestions on either issue or tips on the general timelapse process are greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time.

the best thing you can do to fix that footage, is not make the same mistake again. You will make a LOT of mistakes in timelapse, we all do. a 'checklist' you follow before the shot might help. To make better shots, you have to just keep shooting, and spending a lot of time tinkering with failed shots doesn't really help much.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:00 pm

Those are all good points thanks guys. This a learning process so mistakes are bound to be made. The checklist is a good idea. Kim H, thank you so much for the detailed info it helps a lot. I think I'll try to see if I can help the footage at all with the track and stabilization tools.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:25 pm