It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:23 am

First setup and a pretty big one too 

Post First setup and a pretty big one too
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to this lark, even after years of working as a commercial photographer I had to gulp a little when I was asked if I could make a timelapse that would be recorded during a full year.

I asked around a bit, googled and pulled as much info from the net as I could, however most of the info I found was aimed more at the type of artistic timelapses that cover the landing page of this site. Much less for long-term industrial situations.

Anyway, to cut it short, I had a very short period of time to research, quote and set up the recording gear. The situation is a large automotive factory that's making internal changes, knock-down and re-build of robotic welding installations. I chose for DSLRS, Canon 1000D's in fact. As there are a lot of areas to be covered I opted to install 4 cameras. Each one tethered and controlled by it's own PC. Some of the cameras will run for months, others a week or 2 before being moved to a new viewpoint or location within the factory.
Just about the best part of this setup is that I can log into the clients network, view, check and control each of the cameras. All images are stored locally so I can either remotely download them or during my regular visits to the plane, dump them onto a portable hard drive.

The end goal is that I can produce several short videos, mixed with timelapse, video interviews and reportage images that I shoot on the factory floor.

I'm very curious, so far the short clips I've rendered have gone down well with the client. I'm hoping such a long exposure product will be very rewarding at the end of 2011.

Regards,
Rob.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:58 am

Post Re: First setup and a pretty big one too
That sounds great and congratulations on such a "fun" project ;)

Will it be possible for you to show this work when it's done or will it be limited by the company?

How many pictures are you taking per hour and how many hours a day are the cameras working? I'm just concerned about shutter/mirror mechanism failure after some 100k photos.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:19 am

ev1te wrote:
That sounds great and congratulations on such a "fun" project ;)

Will it be possible for you to show this work when it's done or will it be limited by the company?

How many pictures are you taking per hour and how many hours a day are the cameras working? I'm just concerned about shutter/mirror mechanism failure after some 100k photos.

Thanks,

I'm running at 5 min intervals as there isn't a lot of action going on. They're all shut down at night and periods of no activity.
As the cameras are recording various phases of the re-fit I can remotely control when to shoot and when not to, All the sequences will then be edited together at the end of the project.

yes, cameras can and will possibly fail, I have reserves to cover that situation.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:16 am

Hi,

just by curiosity, which sofware are you using for the backend on camera's PC ? MS Windows + Canon SDK, GNU/Linux + Gphoto2, other ?

It looks to be a very nice project.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:02 am

fanf wrote:
Hi,

just by curiosity, which sofware are you using for the backend on camera's PC ? MS Windows + Canon SDK, GNU/Linux + Gphoto2, other ?

It looks to be a very nice project.

I'm using Breeze Systems DSLR Remote pro. It gives me just about all the control I need. The only extra I would like for such a project would be more detailed scheduling. Would be fabulous if I could automatically shut down the captures in the evening or weekends. Of course, I'm lucky to have remote access so I can do that if needed, but have to think of it and use up valuable time to log in do that manually.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:40 am

stillmation wrote:
The only extra I would like for such a project would be more detailed scheduling. Would be fabulous if I could automatically shut down the captures in the evening or weekends.

You could try to ask them if they could implement that feature. If they see an opportunity for other customers they might add it.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:46 am