It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:22 am

Shooting Daylight/Regular Exposure DSLR Timelapse 

Post Re: Shooting Daylight/Regular Exposure DSLR Timelapse
This is a great thread and there are some superb ideas and comments

Here's something that may be useful

How to determine your camera's interval time when the buffer is full.

preparation
set up your camera exactly as if you were going to do a timelapse
set you camera to shoot RAW, sRAW or what ever size you are planning to shoot,
set your camera to multiple shot mode
put the camera on manual focus, so its in the same setting as would be shooting the timelapse
frame up on a busy image, with plenty trees, flowers, or a city scape - something with lots of detail, so that your photo will have a large file size

The test
press and hold the fire button and keep on holding it down taking photos

after some / several / seconds, the camera buffer will be full, and then the camera will have to wait til there is space in the buffer before taking another photo.
Now you can time the interval between each click as that frame is written to the buffer, the buffer writes to the camera and then there is space in the buffer for the next shot.
This should give you a good idea of worst case scenario for time to write once the buffer is full, as you've given you camera a test shoot that is a "busy" image, at night when your frame has more darkness, the photos will be smaller, so the buffer would empty a little quicker.

the results
If the result of your test gives you an interval of say 2 - 3 seconds, to write once the buffer is full, consider investing in a faster card.
The faster the card, the quicker space becomes available in the buffer, so the next frame can be taken.

So if you are using a 20Mb/s card, shooting RAW, you will fill the buffer very quickly and then wait several seconds for the buffer to write and there be space for another photo.

I often shoot racehorses in Cape Town, and at the races as with sport, you need a quick camera and fast write chips, and this is where I noticed this issue, so I upgraded my chips to 60MB/s from 30MB/s

My Canon 5D2 with a 60 MB/s card,
shooting RAW (5616x3744) ± 2 - 3 seconds of rapid fire as the buffer fills and once it is full, I can shoot between 1 and 1.5 frames a second as the buffer writes to the card.
shooting sRAW1 (3861x2574) ± 3 - 4 seconds of rapid fire as the buffer fills and once it is full, I can shoot between 1.5 and 2 frames a second as the buffer writes to the card.
shooting sRAW2 (2784x1856) ± 3 - 4 seconds of rapid fire as the buffer fills and once it is full, I can shoot between 1.5 and 3 frames a second as the buffer writes to the card.

For me, 60 Mb/s chip are fast enough, and a 16 Gb chip shooting full sized RAW on my 5D will hold 580 photos or about 23 seconds of timelapse.

Cheers

Hamish

Sat May 05, 2012 3:09 am

edit: I figured it out, i just ignored the instruction manual which said set camera on "bulb", and set it to what ever shutter speed i felt was right, then left the timer remote shutter value at 00,00,00.

I' ve just bought my first DSLR (550D) and would like to try some daylight timelapses but my intervalometer/timer remote only has hours, minutes and seconds, do i need a more expensive one for daytime or is there a trick to getting shorter shutter speeds than 1 second, i swear i see people on ebay use these for daytime timelapses, they can't be using a 1 second shutter speed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timer-Remote-Cord-Canon-550D-T2i-450D-350D-RS-60E3-/200550947086?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item2eb1c4990e

Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 am

lifeofbrian wrote:
I' ve just bought my first DSLR (550D) and would like to try some daylight timelapses but my intervalometer only has hours, minutes and seconds, do i need a more expensive one for daytime or is there a trick to getting shorter shutter speeds than 1 second, i swear i see people on ebay use these for daytime timelapses, they can't be using a 1 second shutter speed.

shutter and interval are two very different things!
you should first read this thread thoroughly and then all of your above questions should be answered.
hint: your intervalometer isn't able to get shorter intervals than one second... but your camera is able of shorter shutter speeds than one second ;)

Mon May 14, 2012 11:58 am

if you guys need a nice and simple free calculator for time lapse for android devices, that can save your projects details with geo location and also email that detail to your email address ..

please download it from google play or from your android device ..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... eassistant

thanks ..

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:01 pm

I found great thrill in shooting timelapse after seeing tom's film, so i set off on my own project a couple of months ago and have finally finished one of my own.

hope to hear your comments :)

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:51 am

Dear All,

I am new to timelapse photography. I tried my first few timelapse in my office and came with good results.

But while doing evening timelapse at cityscape, I faced many issues for setting with continuously changing light.

If anyone guide me to resolve this problem it will b great help for my work.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:55 pm