It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:59 am

London Timescapes film project and trailer 

Post London Timescapes film project and trailer
I hope Tom Lowe is ok with my choice of a title :D

Here is a trailer for my upcoming short film titled London Timescapes. It's a stereoscopic timelapsing film, shot with a custom dual Canon EOS rig during last year, and now being assembled together.

2D trailer on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/119159512

3D HD SBS trailer download link: http://stereo3d.london/video/London-Tim ... HD-SBS.mp4 (180mb)
2D 4K trailer download link: http://stereo3d.london/video/London-Tim ... -4K-2D.mp4 (443mb)

Final cut of the film itself should be available around March 2015, and then I'll be very much looking into screening it on festivals (or getting it to the public one way or another).

Stereoscopic timelapsing is very hard indeed :D

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:45 pm

Post Re: London Timescapes film project and trailer
Funny thing about stereoscopic timelapsing area on this forum is that it's pretty much me posting messages once a year :D Well, it takes about a year to complete a short timelapsing film in stereo.

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:47 pm

The 2-D one on Vimeo looked great. Was one of the first clips HDR or did the sky look that great? Lots of things going into the 3rd dimesnion, would be nice if my computer could show me the 3-D. Is that your Brompton near the end? I love the way they fold so much smaller than other folding bikes. I guess if you can keep the gear to one backpack, you could go anywhere with it, even on public transport for the distant parts.

I think more people would do 3-D but its hard to know where to begin. Shooting with two synched cameras is the easy part. I don't have a 3-D TV and if i did, I'm not sure if Adobe Premiere has a way to edit in 3-D. So editing and displaying the 3-D seems like a limiting factor. Wish more people would comment on your stuff but the people who make the tech that limits those of us who need a pre-cooked and canned solution to everything seem to think 3-D is either in the past or the future, not the present for some reason.

Maybe you could post a how to do it video, concentrating on the editing and displaying side of things. Newbies on here look up to the experienced guys to teach, not just show. I have learned a tremendous amount from all the people on here who took the time to explain and teach.

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:54 am

Thanks sciencelookers!

My personal home setup is built around NVidia 3D Vision with shutter glasses, Acer 3D monitor and NVidia graphics card. So far I think this is the best budget solution for home, although there is always ongoing debate about passive vs active glasses. I never seen great passive glasses solution for home, except for LG TV:s.

So, in a nutshell, pipeline looks like this:

RAW -> Lightroom -> (optional) LRTimelapse -> Stereo Photomaker -> Premiere

Stereo Photomaker is a free and best solution (afaik) for auto aligning of pictures, post aligning of the stereo depth, as well as batch processing of hundreds of photos that make a timelapse.

Premiere doesn't have 3D editing out of the box, but hey, you're editing 2 separate video channels and then just export into whatever format is required (be it 3D DCP package, or HD SBS, or something else). Premiere doesn't allow mastering of 3D Blu-rays, but then again it's not often that someone will actually ask for one.

Feel free to ask questions. Oh, yes, it's not strictly speaking HDR, but something sort-of HDR - 12-bit RAW color space gives you freedom to shuffle things around when grading color in Lightroom.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:57 am

Oh, and it's not my Brompton :D But I do want one (and will likely get it this year). And yes I've been mostly moving around city on a bike - London is perfect for it, and I can carry tripod and backpack full of gear pretty much anywhere.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:00 am