It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:53 am

Shooting 4K With Sony A7s DSLR 

Post Shooting 4K With Sony A7s DSLR
The Sony A7s shoots realtime 30 frames per second video by moonlight, but here's another reason to love it. Get ya one of these Shogun recorders and you can shoot 4K cine by moonlight or just about anywhere else. Totally kicks anything else when it comes to existing light shooting in 4K.

Then there are all these features like vectorscope, false color, eight or twelve sound channels with phantom power you can turn on or off per channel. Its your field monitor and recorder and its focus assist zoom uses all 4K pixels so you can adjust focus accurately. I did tests with the camera itself, without Shogun and it was easy to focus by moonlight because the sensor can actually capture a good live view image which you can use to focus with in real time.

Here's a link. Watch the video at the end of the article. It explains everything really well. About two thousand dollars for the camera and another two thousand for the shogun. Four grand for a 4K cine camera that shoots by moonlight? Cool!

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/12/helpful ... er-gh4-a7s

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:37 am

Post Re: Shooting 4K With Sony A7s DSLR
I just bought this kit last week and it's truly remarkable. Having the 35mm look, 4K, incredible ISO's, SLog2 and ProRes is really beautiful. I did footage comparisons from various cams last year including the ARRI Alexa, RED Dragon, Sony F5 and the Blackmagic's and I can tell it holds up damn well !
The Shogun's monitor itself is indeed very useful. Just the power consumption is a bit of a downside.
I also bought it for timelapse and time will tell if it's as good as my Canon 6D for timelapse. The low MP is currently a little concern of mine to create really crisp 4K timelapses even with noise reduction applied.
Will do a big timelapse/video/adventure trip in April and May so will see how it survives this endurance test ;-)

Vimeo | Youtube | Google+ | 500px | Facebook

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:31 pm

This guy thinks you should get a thing called lock port A7 that will keep the HDMI cable from pulling out of the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y93zUctG-zI

There's this review of the A7s from Philip Bloom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8qmccMniSI

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:44 pm

I got a cable protector with my A7s. Also including 2 batteries. Not sure if this is the standard kit but I thought Sony did a good job trying to minimize these problems.
This protector not only keeps the HDMI from bending but all other connections too. Still bought 5 cables to have spare ones.
Also got adapters for the Shogun and A7s to power it from 12V batteries. So I can use my good old timelpase (Anker Astro Pro 2) batteries to power the setup.

Vimeo | Youtube | Google+ | 500px | Facebook

Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:50 am