It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Stereoscopic Stepper on MoCo Dolly - Frankenstein rig!?! 

Post Stereoscopic Stepper on MoCo Dolly - Frankenstein rig!?!
Hi there,

I'm thinking about ways to shoot interesting stereo timelapse of plants growing, flowers blooming, that sort of thing. Obviously need to be relatively close to subject so a nice simple side by side rig isn't going to work. I want camera movement even if just a simple dolly move or a semi-circular track around.

As far as I see it, my options are;

- Put a beamsplitter rig with 2 cameras onto something like a DP Stage Zero dolly and use a mini jack splitter to send the trigger from MX2 to both cameras simultaneously ( downside being cost of beamsplitter and 2 cameras and the payload required by MoCo dolly )

- Use a stereoscopic stepper with a single camera and try to co-ordinate the dolly move-shoot-move with the steppers two positions per exposure ( downside being fiddly and perceptually very slight time offset between L & R eye exposures ). The new MRMC S4 stepper has convergence feature that would help with close subjects like plants.

- The 3rd option, and I wonder if anyone has knowledge of this, is a MoCo dolly that can essentially; move - shoot - move fractionally ( for 2nd eye ) shoot - move

Obviously that option wouldn't allow for converged shooting but good to know if that option is out there.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Thanks,

Josh

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:01 am

Post Re: Stereoscopic Stepper on MoCo Dolly - Frankenstein rig!?!
Well if your willing to add Dragonframe into your workflow, you could use their stereo iota slider. Or you might be able to adapt that to a different controller, or build something similar

http://www.dragonframe.com/moco-3d.php#stereo

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks Lifeskills. Wasn't really familiar with Dragonframe but that looks really promising for what I want to do.

Cheers

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Amazingly this is my first post here. Someone recently pointed out this forum to me. Here goes....
We have a lot of clients using the stereoscopic steppers (mostly S3's) for doing close up stereoscopic work including both animation and nature Timelapse. The general consensus is to not use convergence but if needed to add it in post as it greatly simplifies shooting and is less prone to error. That said if they must have convergence then yes you can use the S4.
Regarding your other question, if you had a slider controlled by Flair motion control software then doing interocular and even convergence using the rig as opposed to a dedicated stereo stepper is possible. But then most things are possible with Flair.
Other than that putting an Stereoscopic stepper on a decent rig is doable and does get done.
Hope this helps.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:32 pm