It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:07 am

METIS NIGHTS: A Timelapse Movie (Toronto, Canada) 

Post METIS NIGHTS: A Timelapse Movie (Toronto, Canada)
METIS NIGHTS: A Timelapse Movie by Randy Hoffmann

www.vimeo.com/99082413

Shot on location in Toronto's Port Lands.

This is one of the most extensive time-lapse projects I have embarked on, spending many nights and over 100 hours in total shooting, editing and producing (14,000 + RAW files). All internal scenes are shoot-move-shoot as well. Note that the flickering in some scenes inside the vessel is caused by the interior lighting.

Many would pass by the "Metis" and see just a drab grey and rusting old vessel, so I decided to give this unique specimen some dignity and make it the subject of a time-lapse movie.

Equipment / gear used:
Canon 6D
Sigma 17-35mm, Canon 24mm-L and EF-50mm lenses
"Pocketslider" dolly (see "Pocketslider.de") with integrated intervalometer
Hahnel Gigi T2 Pro intervalometer
2 Black Diamond headlamps for illumination
Edited using LRTimelapse, Adobe Lightroom, Sequence, Acrok converter and Final Cut Pro 10.1.1

Music: Hendrik Schodt

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:26 am

Post Re: METIS NIGHTS: A Timelapse Movie (Toronto, Canada)
A couple of things - first loved the shots on the ship where the ship was moving but since the camera was mounted on the ship it looked like the world was shaking - I don't think I've ever seen that before - it was a unique perspective. The black flash frames I could do with out it looks like a mistake (sloppy editing) and a couple of the out of focus to in focus dollies took too long to resolve but all in all a lot of unique footage of and interesting old ship - it there any history related to the ship?

thanks,
Tim T

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks for the comments and suggestions Tim. I will be tweaking / modifying the video in the near future. The black flashes between sequences somehow ended up during processing in FCP. As for history of the vessel ....

The "Metis" (pron. "May-tee") has a very interesting and long history. It was once a self - unloading bulk carrier for Canada Steamship Lines (the first bulk carrier for CSL in fact) hauling grain and ore along the St. Lawrence River and around the Great Lakes since the 1950's. It was later converted to a barge (bridge removed and engines inoperable) by the early 1990's and used as a cement carrier. It presently sits idle in the Toronto Port Lands. The engines are being dismantled and parts are being salvaged.

Cheers!

Randy H.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:32 pm

I really liked a lot of the internal shots - quite dark, dingy and grimy. I did find some of the external shots perhaps a little too long though.

https://www.facebook.com/KarlMullerPhotography

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Hello and thanks for the comments Karl ... much appreciated !

Not easy to fit it all together ... give and take timing the sequences with music one (finally) finds appropriate ... however I do agree with the comment re. external shots, some of which are lengthy ... (working to refine this in my final release though) ... yet I have seen some sequences in other timelapses that are way too short (i.e.. less than 5 sec. for a timelapse sequence ... which is just not enough to absorb visually) ... seems 10 sec. would be the ideal length ...

Cheers!

Look forward to viewing your video links soon !

Randy H.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:10 pm