It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:10 am

BBC natural history series may need your time lapses! 

Post BBC natural history series may need your time lapses!
Hi there,

The BBC Natural History Unit is currently in production of a "blue chip" British wildlife series. Named 'Seasons', it is the definitive portrait of the spectacular and dynamic nature of our country over the course of one year.

This series will be full of amazing time lapses and we are looking for several types of timelapses shot in Britain...

We need astro-timelapses, from purely star time lapses to interesting and creative time lapses perhaps with the moon moving behind trees, or moon reflections in water.

Also, we are looking for tide timelapses around the country- day AND night- a dream shot for us would be the tide changing with the moon in view.

Also....If anyone has any natural history time lapses which REVEAL something which normal filming just couldn't, we would be really interested to see it... Even if its just a small bit- if it's good enough we can always work with it.

P.s. There is one shot we think if as a near impossible, but would just like to throw it out there to you... We are looking for time lapses of rainbows- forming OR fading. I know it's a long shot!

We are coming to you guys as we know there are some amazing time lapsers here who may have a vast library of great work already. If anybody is interested in sending us time lapses the best way we can see this happening is if people pop them up on their own Vimeo account, and then email me the link. Then, if we see something we like we would then contact the person who filmed it (via Vimeo mail) and possibly take it further. There is one thing we need to ask of anyone though- which is to shoot JPEG and RAW- as this makes it easier to process the files further down the line.

All the best and many thanks,

Louis

louis.rummer-downing@bbc.co.uk

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:27 am

Post Re: BBC natural history series may need your time lapses!
Let me know when You`re planning to do something in Latvia! For the next two years I`ll making many of time lapse scenes here!

Shared it on twitter @thetowersofriga

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:41 am

21 years working for the BBC and they don't want any of my work on screen until after I've emigrated to Australia and they want GB shots only!

I still think David Attenborough should have accepted the offer to be DG.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:53 am

Awesome, I'll try and submit some footage.

When's the deadline? Also, is there any restrictions on where the footage is shot (i.e urban, or rural).

Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:41 am

Hi guys thanks so much for posting in what you have already- I have tried to reply to each email i have recieved. The deadline would probably be early 2013 really- and we love to see anything- rural/urban big/small traffic/wildlife. If you have interesting time lapses and can spare the time to send an email to us, we would love to hear back. The commitment some of you guys have for your art is humbling.

Thanks again

Louis

Send to.... louis.rummer-downing@bbc.co.uk

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:59 am

ps - Too bad I'm in Canada, but I thought I'd tell ya it's not impossible! I have shots of rainbows both forming and fading.

Best of luck with the project! I download/enjoy many a BBC doc :)

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:13 am

Would this be something you're interested in?

I captured a double rainbow forming and fading with two cameras.

(low quality images)

Mon May 28, 2012 8:21 am

Just found a rainbow start to finish as a shower passed by, have not got around to looking at it properly yet as it is part of a day long session.

Attachments:
GOPR3605Base3_Rainbow01.jpg
GOPR3605Base3_Rainbow01.jpg [ 194.11 KiB | Viewed 12214 times ]

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub
Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:20 am

I sent them a video of a timelapse of the moon with a Halo, but i guess since it was not shot in britain it was no good. There was no foreground, just the moon with halo in the Sky, and no possible way of determining where on earth it was shot, it could have been the artic circle, france, or new york city.

I guess the moon is just prettier in Britain.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:58 am

You would have thought in some TL clips you would not be able to tell where they were shot.

So the must be shot in Britain may be a reaction to the BBC's infamous shot of Polar Bear in snow den shot in zoo and then merged with wild ones shot in the Artic :-(
Then accused of cheating and misleading the public ! I call it creative license. Nobody complains that superman cant fly?

Downunder the stars are different, the moon is upside down and together with the sun they all track right to left :-( so count me out !

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:52 pm

unozig wrote:
You would have thought in some TL clips you would not be able to tell where they were shot.

So the must be shot in Britain may be a reaction to the BBC's infamous shot of Polar Bear in snow den shot in zoo and then merged with wild ones shot in the Artic :-(
Then accused of cheating and misleading the public ! I call it creative license. Nobody complains that superman cant fly?

Downunder the stars are different, the moon is upside down and together with the sun they all track right to left :-( so count me out !

i remember watching the first Total Recall movie, i was so mad when i found out it was not filmed on mars!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:05 pm

I remember watching the first moon landing live on TV. I was so mad to discover it came from a shed in Hollywood ;)

Just kidding guys!!!!

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:51 pm

Well I will take a shot of the moon passing thru bare trees as it's winter here now and then reverse the sequence so that it tracks left to right.
Also I will have to overexpose the moon features so they can't see its upside down ! ;-)

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:38 am

Kitwn wrote:
I remember watching the first moon landing live on TV. I was so mad to discover it came from a shed in Hollywood ;)

Just kidding guys!!!!

Der, everyone knows Kubricks 2001 was just him practicing to shoot the fake moon landings! :lol:

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Louis Rummer-Downing wrote:
Hi guys thanks so much for posting in what you have already- I have tried to reply to each email i have recieved. The deadline would probably be early 2013 really- and we love to see anything- rural/urban big/small traffic/wildlife. If you have interesting time lapses and can spare the time to send an email to us, we would love to hear back. The commitment some of you guys have for your art is humbling.

Thanks again

Louis

Send to.... louis.rummer-downing@bbc.co.uk

I'm on it!

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:24 am

Sounds excellent Louis and right up my alley.
I contact you by email with some links to my time-lapses.
Here's a multimedia teaser that went up last night....

https://vimeo.com/49619617

Thanks,
Rich Reid

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:22 pm

What is the latest on this. I submitted my footage a long time ago. I'm guessing because I've not heard anything it didn't get past the shortlist stage, I know it was on the shortlist but that was the last I heard?

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:19 am

As far as I know edit of the first episode (ep.4) is almost finished as I have been asked to provide JPGs for my clips which have been qualified. If you footage will be used in other episodes than I think you need to be more patient or get in touch, with producer of episode in which your shots will be used in, for update. Every episode has his own producer as far as I know.

Wed May 08, 2013 1:16 am

When were you asked to provide jpegs spider ( if you don't mind me asking )

Were you also asked to provide 1080p .mov s ?

As far as I know , a few of mine made the short list ( ie sent them 1080p files ) but not been asked to send jpegs/ raw as of yet.

James

Wed May 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi James

I've been asked to send JPGs about 2 weeks ago.

Yes, I've been asked before to send mov files and I've sent about 10-12 clips in mov files but for now only 5 of them made it to the final episode 4 cut, which as far as I know was first in editing.

Wed May 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Thanks spider.

Did you (or anyone) have any issues in terms of clearances/ permission for any of your shots (ie shots from public land / national parks etc)?

Thu May 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Nobody asked me yet for footage release notes but most of my shots were done from public places.

Thu May 16, 2013 11:43 pm