It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:04 am

Controller - cables etc 

Post Controller - cables etc
Hi there,

have you guys some pictures and some comments about your connectors and cables you are using? From the motor drivers to the Mantis controller, PSU, etc.? And I cannot remember seeing the Mantis controller anywhere in action.
I´m just thinking about the different connector/plug options and which type of cables to use that are robust enough.

Regards
rame

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:00 am

Post Re: Controller - cables etc
rame,
Your choice of connectors depends very much on how you intend to use the equipment. A studio-based setup for amateur use can get away with cheaper devices whereas equipment intended to go on location for professional use must be more reliable and robust. Cost, as always, will be a factor in your decision. You will also need to consider whether other people will help you connect everything together in which case you should ensure that you use incompatible connectors so mistakes cannot be made.

For my home-used amateur studio I have found metal bodied DIN connectors to be an inexpensive but effective choice. They are available with a various numbers of pins from 3 to 7. Note that a 3 or 5 pin plug will fit into a 7 pin socket so this is not a safe way of providing discrimination between connectors unless you think ahead with regard to which pins are used for power in one application and not used at all in another.

Kit

Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Hey, Kit,

that´s true!
It´ll be a unit that is going to be transported and so cables, connectors, etc. need to be very robust. I thought of XLR, Neutrik or Binder and on smaller parts Lemo.

rame

Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:05 am

For the control cables from Mantis to the drivers I use small 8mm Binder connectors because they have convenient screw terminals, so no need to solder:)

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/746059/Binder-99-3379-100-03-Series-768-Sensor-Actuator-Plug-Connector-M8-Screw-Closure-Straight?ref=list

These below are already assembled on one end and very robust control cables, and flexible too, they will never chip or break.

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/734180/Binder-79-3381-55-04-Series-718-Sensor-Connector/?ref=home&rt=home&rb=1

For the driver to motor, depends on max current drawn, usually CY cable, screened. XLR connectors or the cheap aviation connectors are very robust, with screw lock.

Lapp Kable is one of the best to get. Or Alpha.

Edward

Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Thank you, Edward!

Lapp cables are a good suggestion!

How many wires by driver do you have in use (and or any spare?)?
Do you use one seperate cable for each motordriver and an additional power cable or do you use a multicore for all?

I thought if the following could work:

Harting connector on the rig with a breakout box - from the box every motordriver get´s it´s own cable. From Harting a multicore cable to a 19" rack where the Mantis controller, PSU, etc. are build in.

rame

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Normally you need the thinner three core Lapp signal cable from the Mantis DB25 connector pins which will carry the step/direction/5Volts for each of your drivers. It doesn't have to be Lapp Kable, but that's what I use because it's strong and flexible and it's easy to get in Germany. I prefer to use one length of 3 core cable for each of the drivers, rather than keep it all in one single cable. You can use cable ties to keep them tidy.

Then the thicker 4 core (preferably shielded) CY cable from each of your motors to each corresponding A+A-B+B- terminals in each driver (I assume you are using steppers). Never mix signal and motor electric power in one multicore as you will probably get electromagnetic interference that may make your motors move erratically. How thick a cable is dependant on how many Amps your motors are rated at.

Finally you need power from you power supply unit to each of the steppers. The PSU should be of a voltage suitable for your drivers and the Amp rating should be at least equal or greater than the sum total current drawn by your motors.

Edward

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:58 am

Yes, it seem´s like the old question: many cables or a multicore :-)

But for the initial setup I think I´ll use single cables - could even help to find errors easier :-)

I´ll use two hybrid steppers on the head and servos for the base on the track and for the arm two other servos.

For the focus I´m still figuring out which motor I´ll use... Maxon brushless DC, or Nema 8 stepper...we´ll see.

The PSU is from the company that builds the hybrid steppers and the engineer told me it´ll work fine with two motors.
For the other three motors (1kW, 1x 750W, 1x400W) I´ll need extra PSUs.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:07 am

rame wrote:
Yes, it seem´s like the old question: many cables or a multicore :-)

But for the initial setup I think I´ll use single cables - could even help to find errors easier :-)

I´ll use two hybrid steppers on the head and servos for the base on the track and for the arm two other servos.

For the focus I´m still figuring out which motor I´ll use... Maxon brushless DC, or Nema 8 stepper...we´ll see.

The PSU is from the company that builds the hybrid steppers and the engineer told me it´ll work fine with two motors.
For the other three motors (1kW, 1x 750W, 1x400W) I´ll need extra PSUs.

For the focus I think that you'll find that Nema8 size, unless you use it with gear reduction, it just won't have the power. Nema11, the long ones, 5cm will be the minimum without gears, but most likely you will need the torque of a size14 and a good driver. As for using a Maxon? Small Maxons are very revvy, expensive and very long once you add the encoder. I would advice you to start your tests with a Nema14 if you don't want to be disappointed.

As for the PSU's for the servos, practically all 230V Ac servo drivers come with integrated power in the driver, that's the way to go. Delta servos are nice and relatively easy to set up.

Edward

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:26 am

Thank you, Edward, for the advice!

Do you have a number (Nm) from your experience that is needed for the focus?

rame

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:58 am

Hi Raf.

Choice of cables depends on your setup. If you have a single drive box then use a commercial shielded DB25 extension cable. For a short distance it is even ok to use a ribbon cable. Technically there is no reason to use separate cables unless you have more than one drive box.

If you have several motors with integrated drives then you will need a breakout for individual connectors. Any kind of lockable and affordable connector will do as the voltage and current is low. Some people use XLR connectors though they are on the heavy side... there is also a miniature version of XLR that will work fine. The Binders are also very good but the mini-xlrs and Lemos are a little faster to attach and detach if that matters to you. For the actual cable - so long as it is shielded, pretty much any signal cable according to your preference.

For lens motors, depending on the mechanism, a small nema 17 of 1.0 - 1.7 amp is sufficient. Smaller motors like nema 11 will not work so well with cine lenses which tend to require higher speed and a long throw.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Gerald,

thank you!

So do you have a short multicore from the Mantis controller (the 25pin SUB D connector) with eight XLRs (3 pin?) and from there separate cables to each controller?

R

PS: Mantis should be ordered in the next days :-)

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:26 am

My first attempts to use Mantis have a parallel printer cable going from the Mantis box to the driver/power box. My Mantis controller came with a socket that fits the printer cable. I got a little breakout board from Chinaland with a compatible printer socket to put in the driver box. From there, wires soldered to the pads on the breakout board go to the screw terminals of each driver. So the connection from Mantis to the driver box is just one cable and cannot be confused with any other connectors in the system.

Power into the driver box is a thick red and black cable with clamps at the end to attach it to either end of a row of lawn tractor batteries which power the rig (at 48 volts for now). Cables going to the motors have XLR connectors which are really nice, but a bit expensive for my own use, a friend with an electronics recycling business gave me a good deal on a trash bag full of them.

This is just the first iteration, thrown together quickly. I always seem to have too many other things to do before I can get back to either Mantis or my CNC router which is still unused because of a failed TinyG controller.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:19 am