It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am

"Berserk Golden Age Arc I: The Egg of the King" 
Site Admin

Post "Berserk Golden Age Arc I: The Egg of the King"

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - The Egg of the King

As many of my friends know, I am a huge fan of "Berserk´╗┐." The epic story has archetypal imagery and mythological themes running so deep that Joseph Campbell´╗┐ could have spent semesters lecturing on them.

I recently watched the English-language version of the first of the new "Berserk" films, "Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - The Egg of the King"... a movie I have been looking forward to with great anticipation for years.

My reaction to the film is mixed. On the one hand, it IS "Berserk," so that means it's more awesome than just about anything else in existence right from the go. The animation is updated, and, thank god, the original English voice actors from the 25-part anime series are back. Both Griffith and Guts are perfect. The best addition made to the "Berserk" universe by this new film are the blood-spraying, skull-shattering battle scenes. This movie has super-violent, spectacular fighting scenes that trump even the best war movies like "Braveheart". The war scenes are next-level... a new standard.

Now the bad. The film is way too short. "Egg of the King" is basically about an hour and ten minutes long. My question: why isn't this film two hours long? Why not? Is there any reason to cut out key scenes and plot points to make a feature film barely an hour long? This makes no sense to me, and is a near-fatal flaw... so many great parts of the story are missing that the pacing feels truncated, butchered and almost incoherent compared to even the 1990s series, let alone to the manga. The characters and themes have precious little time to develop. Though the original music composer from the anime was also brought back, tragically missing are the epic "Behelit" and "Gatsu" themes I loved so much from the series. Along with all the missing moonlight night scenes from the series, these factors take away from the "magic" of the storytelling.

Let's see what happens with the next two films, but as of now, I feel there still might be room for someone to come in and make REAL, definitive, big-budget feature film version of the Golden Age Arc, a dream I have personally harbored for years.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:07 am