It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:00 pm

My first HDR Timelapse (extended!) 
Post My first HDR Timelapse (extended!)
This was my first experiment shooting a 3 bracket HDR timelapse (about a year ago)... I went on to do some experiments up to 9 brackets and raw at that! This is my first attempt at a Vimeo workflow as well. We'll see how it comes out - Okay I'm on my third upload... This time I did a complete 29.97 progressive workflow as suggested. Then exported H264 4MB/sec @ 29.97 prog... Probably as good as it's going to get. I think that all the movement in these sequences makes the encode very tough.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:54 pm
Post Re: My first HDR Timelapse
Seems a little choppy to me... It's probably hard for a codec to handle all that movement. Any suggestions on encoding?

Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:05 am

Great work! It looks very dreamlike. The tones look great, along with the motion.

If there was a magic codec and compression settings to make all video look good on the internet I wish somebody would tell me too. But it seems even if you do get it looking great at a reasonable file size, sites like youtube and even vimeo just re-encode them again. ERR...

Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:52 pm

So, how does 3 bracket hdr turn out so well when the camera is moving in the span of the 3 exposures?

Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:50 pm
Andrew Curtis wrote:
So, how does 3 bracket hdr turn out so well when the camera is moving in the span of the 3 exposures?

at 1/5 to 1/8 of a second between brackets the movement between is negligible... It's sort of like doing long exposures with motion. You have to take it easy on your speed so you minimize motion blur with static objects in the scene. Although (speaking of long exposures) I've done experiments where I accelerate a pan with 5 sec plus exposures and It creates a very cool effect. The scene starts sharp and slowly builds to a motion blur... It's quite dramatic!

Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:32 am

The choppyness on vimeo videos is due to their re-encode at 29.97 fps (or NTSC for short).
Any video uploaded is re-encoded to FLV as you know (For the streaming) and at 29.97fps reguardless of input. Even my timelapse at 30fps turned out choppy yet the 29.97's didn't

Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:27 pm

supernovah wrote:
The choppyness on vimeo videos is due to their re-encode at 29.97 fps (or NTSC for short).
Any video uploaded is re-encoded to FLV as you know (For the streaming) and at 29.97fps reguardless of input. Even my timelapse at 30fps turned out choppy yet the 29.97's didn't

Thing is that I uploaded a 24fps video and its very smooth, but I didn't have a 720p copy... working on uploading a new one soon.

Also when I downloaded Milapse's Vimeo video it wouldn't play smoothly in quicktime either, it was only playing 13fps even though quicktime said it was made for 24fps. And I run it on a rig that plays almost full quality 1080p stuff with no problems since its a Quadcore....

I think it may have been a bad render, I've had it happen with H.264 before

Vimeo Page: http://www.vimeo.com/user409454

Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:49 pm

Hey Jay,

That's really striking and odd looking, and I'm really impressed how you drove the motor in between a set of grouped pulses....or is it running veeeerrryyy slowly continously?

We've been talking about HDR for ANCIENT SKIES, but our enemy is wind and card speed. I have to shoot 12.5 mb RAW all the way, and the fastest we can write to an Extreme 4 card is one frame every 2 seconds. To get a 7 stop bracket thus takes 14 seconds, and then the clouds are all over the show, and any wind shake knocks out registration. As we'll project on to a huge great dome we predict little but Fuzzy-Vision-O-Rama.

That said, HDR timelapse is a very interesting field. I look forward to seeing more of your experiments.

When Sandisk get to about Extreme 6, I think things will open up a bit.

Fri May 09, 2008 12:13 am
PMW Creative wrote:
Hey Jay,

That's really striking and odd looking, and I'm really impressed how you drove the motor in between a set of grouped pulses....or is it running veeeerrryyy slowly continously?

We've been talking about HDR for ANCIENT SKIES, but our enemy is wind and card speed. I have to shoot 12.5 mb RAW all the way, and the fastest we can write to an Extreme 4 card is one frame every 2 seconds. To get a 7 stop bracket thus takes 14 seconds, and then the clouds are all over the show, and any wind shake knocks out registration.

This was using an old heavy german equitorial mount traveling at 4x sidereal (iirc). So it's continuous movement but very slow.

YES! it's a big technical challenge that only suits 'perfect' conditions! The shortest interval I've been able to pull out of it was teathering to a VERY FAST laptop (T7700 2gb sata) using the D2h sport camera @4mp... That combo could get into the sub 10 second per frame ballpark with a 5 to 7 bracket set.

Sat May 10, 2008 6:59 am

Upon further review I have discovered the following.

Vimeo Flash Video (the video you see in the vimeo box) is encoded at 29.970 fps (or NTSC) and I have confirmed this.
The video you uploaded was 29.970 so the issue of skippy playback is virtually null.

Their re-encode has made your video look like it was rendered with interleaving on. You don't want to do this ever with timelapse as each and every of your frames is defined.

When rendering, select, progressive scan rather than lower field or upper field first.

I experienced smooth playback from the vimeo video and the original. So :shrug:

And some bad news, the video was actually Mpeg2 (not h.264) and not 24fps

See here -> Original File
Code:
Complete name : ~/63821608.mpeg
File size : 62.3 MiB
PlayTime : 1mn 21s
Bit rate : 6385 Kbps

Codec : MPEG-2 Video
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display Aspect ratio : 4/3
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC
Interlacement : Bottom Field First

And here -> Vimeo FLV
Code:
Complete name : ~/63821608_2_2f828c6869.flv
File size : 5.92 MiB
PlayTime : 1mn 21s
Bit rate : 607 Kbps
Tagged_Application : FlixEngineLinux_8.0.10.1 (www.on2.com)

Codec : On2 VP6
Width : 504 pixels
Height : 336 pixels
Display Aspect ratio : 1.500
Frame rate : 29.970 fps

They encode using 'FlixEngineLinux_8.0.10.1' aparently, so maybe we could investigate further as to what that does to the video

Further addition: The choppyness up-and-down look to the video is the interleaving issue I said. See how the clouds look dragged out in lines? That's it too.

Edit: And woops, I do have your original which looks very nice and smooth (for 24fps) which of course will conflict when upsampled to 29.97fps by the vimeo encoder.

Sun May 11, 2008 6:28 pm
supernovah wrote:
When rendering, select, progressive scan rather than lower field or upper field first.

I experienced smooth playback from the vimeo video and the original. So :shrug:

And some bad news, the video was actually Mpeg2 (not h.264) and not 24fps

I reloaded (replaced) with mpeg2 to see how that would come out so that's what's up! Thanks for all the super useful information! What I don't understand is... why can't I just encode it to FlixEngineLinux FLV to start with? You can't upload a FLV? I'll keep experimenting...

Mon May 12, 2008 5:02 am