It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:31 am

Day Turns to Night Over Hull Marina 

Post Day Turns to Night Over Hull Marina
I recently got my hands on a Promote Control and after a few disasters I managed to come up with this, which I'm quite happy with :D Enjoy...

Comments always welcome.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:07 pm

Post Re: Day Turns to Night Over Hull Marina
Nice, a very small amount of flicker in the clouds near the middle but overall a very nice day-night transition.

https://www.facebook.com/KarlMullerPhotography

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Thanks! Appreciate you taking the time to comment. I can't wait for the weather to pick up and shoot more like this.

Yeah I noticed that flicker too, I ran GBDeflicker which removed most of it but I couldn't quite get it all :(

I'm not too sure what caused the flicker though, I shot in full manual mode and set my white balance. I'm not sure what else I can do really.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:51 pm

What was your f/stop and did you use a fully manual lens or rotate the lens so that the aperture wouldn't open and close?

Also, how did you set this up in the Promote Control? Is there a bulb ramping feature?

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:40 pm

It was shot at F7.1, the lens has auto-focus but was set to manual focus and image-stabilisation was turned off also.

What do you mean by rotate the lens? I've not heard of that..

The Promote has a bulb ramping feature yes. You set the camera in bulb mode in full manual. You tell the Promote the start exposure then you tell it the end exposure (either by guessing or by taking a meter reading the day before). You then tell it the time period you want this change in exposure to happen over and it simply changes the shutter speed in tiny increments to give a smooth change in exposure.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:08 am

Thanks for posting, haven't tried the Promote yet but sounds like a good solution. The lens twist method keeps the apreature fixed…in your case 7.1 That way the aperature dosen't go from wide open to 7.1 every actuation which can cause flicker. Search "lens twist method" for more info.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:24 pm

Yeah the promote's not bad, like I say it's not fool proof either. One came up on ebay and not many seem to come up second hand in the UK so it was too good to pass up really. Can't wait for the weather to improve and shoot some more really.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:03 pm