It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:15 pm

Color Grading Workflow ?? 

Post Color Grading Workflow ??
Does anyone have a color grading workflow that they can share? (I know very little about color grading and do not know where to start researching)

Currently I do all my processing in Lightroom/LRTimelapse. Then I dump the image sequence into After Effects as a raw image sequence.

Is there a way to color grade multiple image sequences, while still using the raw file format, before exporting the final movie?

My understanding is that I want to color grade from as flat of an image as possible. But if I do not use the benefits of a raw file editor, won't I be losing information when I go to color correct in post. So do I do an initial color grade for each individual image sequence, and then do an overall color grade for the entire video?

What programs/techniques should I be looking into for color grading to get the most out of raw image sequences?

Thanks

Mon May 06, 2013 6:37 am

Post Re: Color Grading Workflow ??
I'll do my initial main grade in lightroom or camera raw, then straight to After Effects, then straight to time line in either lossless or a linked AE composition, then just do tweaks for the final grade for picture flow / continuity.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Tue May 07, 2013 2:17 am

You say, "straight to time line"...

Is time line the name of a program? Or are you saying you use the time line in AE? I am not clear where you are doing your final grading.

Tue May 07, 2013 4:34 am

Export the sequence out of AE and import into FCP or Premier Pro etc... then edit, then do some small grading in Apple colour or divinci etc etc if need be... Well thats how i do it anyway :)

Tue May 07, 2013 5:37 am

I think he means the timeline of whatever you're using as your main video editor (Premiere Pro, FCP, Vegas, etc).
diputs wrote:

Is time line the name of a program? Or are you saying you use the time line in AE? I am not clear where you are doing your final grading.

Tue May 07, 2013 7:08 am

The best way would be to export to davinci resolve, grade in resolve, and import back to Ae to deliver various outputs.

My iMac is a few years old so I can't run even "resolve free 9", so I have been grading in After Effects.
With the ability to mask portions of your composition and colour correct those areas, it is the same as "power windows" in resolve, and is very precise.

Curves is all you really need. Top retouchers use that powerful tool to grade their photoshop files by using the separate channels in curves for precise control.

Cheers,
Cy

Wed May 08, 2013 12:33 am

diputs wrote:

I mean straight into the time line of Premier Pro as a linked composition, so no intermediate encoding or loss of quality. When doing initial editing using this method it pays to use proxy clips though to be able to edit in real time.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Wed May 08, 2013 4:46 pm

You might be able to pull some useful information out this: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread ... post890617

Thu May 09, 2013 5:31 am

agour wrote:
You might be able to pull some useful information out this: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread ... post890617

Thanks for that link. Interesting stuff.

Thu May 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi there,
I've been wondering what would be the best workflow as well and, coming from a photographic background I thought of the following:

Now this might not be the ideal workflow, so any critique is highly appreciated.
Specifically for timelapses shot using a DSLR.

0. I first dump the images to a storage drive.
- Load the RAW images into Bridge or Lightroom
- Export it to JPG (Or TIFF) after making some basic colour correction.
- Make sure you have file numbering enabled in bridge when exporting it.
- This is to ensure your images are in sequence when exporting and importing it for your next step.

1. Load all images in MPEG Streamclip.
- Set compression to Apple ProRes 422 HQ
- Quality 100%
- Frame Rate - 25 (I live in a PAL country)
- Frame Size - 1920 x 1080 (or whatever the needs may be)

2. After I export the video I then open in up in Photoshop CS6 where I make use of Adjustment Layers, such as Colour Lookup, Selective Colour and Curves to create the final colour grade.

3. Export video to disk using preferred settings.

www.Facebook.com/ImageEngineer
www.Twitter.com/Image_Engineer

Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:23 am

I'm a beginner too and I definitely need to learn how to color correct and grade.

But what I'm do all my PP work in lightroom (using LR Timelapse with keyframes) - export to JPEG then creating a clip in AE.
I don't go straight from raw because I find it inflates the file sizes a lot... if I export at 75% quality, it's 4mb a photo vs 22 raw or 100% quality with basically no quality degradation I can see. Maybe 100% would grade better? I don't know.

The reason I'm doing this is because I do a lot of day to night transitions, and you really need to curve the WB as the light changes.

For a static scene I'd assume you can just COLOR CORRECT in LR and then grade in AE or premiere or what have you.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Image Engineer wrote:
Hi there,
I've been wondering what would be the best workflow as well and, coming from a photographic background I thought of the following:

Now this might not be the ideal workflow, so any critique is highly appreciated.
Specifically for timelapses shot using a DSLR.

0. I first dump the images to a storage drive.
- Load the RAW images into Bridge or Lightroom
- Export it to JPG (Or TIFF) after making some basic colour correction.
- Make sure you have file numbering enabled in bridge when exporting it.
- This is to ensure your images are in sequence when exporting and importing it for your next step.

1. Load all images in MPEG Streamclip.
- Set compression to Apple ProRes 422 HQ
- Quality 100%
- Frame Rate - 25 (I live in a PAL country)
- Frame Size - 1920 x 1080 (or whatever the needs may be)

2. After I export the video I then open in up in Photoshop CS6 where I make use of Adjustment Layers, such as Colour Lookup, Selective Colour and Curves to create the final colour grade.

3. Export video to disk using preferred settings.

I'm new to time lapse but not new to After Effects/ Lightroom.
In my opinion a lot of your steps above could be avoided with After Effects.
You could simply do all your work in Lightroom and import the Raw files into After Effects where you can apply additional color grading, adjustment layers, size, frame rate and simple export.
My 2 cent. :)

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:02 pm

It's true you can do raw directly in AE... BUT 1000 raw files @ >20mb vs 1000 jpegs @ 4mb :)

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:44 am

scotchtape wrote:
It's true you can do raw directly in AE... BUT 1000 raw files @ >20mb vs 1000 jpegs @ 4mb :)

true, depending on the project. For a larger a project I would use jpeg as well after exporting from Lightroom.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Here's a further question to this colour grading workflow... what's the best colour space to export out of After Effects in?

I personally do a "best light" in Lightroom w/ LRTimelapse, export to TIFFs, import into After Effects and comp it on a 4K timeline, do any image manip tweaks (bird removal) before exporting to QuickTime (within AE) as a 4K 4:4:4 ProRes4444 video. Then I take it into my editing app - and when the final project is finished I'd want to do a final colour pass in Resolve to match the rest of the timeline.

I would've thought Rec.709 out of AE to be the way to go, however that throws away a LOT of colour detail - being designed for 8 bit, it's a waste of data for a 12bit codec. Now I'm just baffled. What does everyone else do?

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:54 am

I'd love to hear what others are doing too...

Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:43 am